Media/gaming computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I'm wrong. I thought you would somehow be able to do it but you can't. I guess it strictly has to be HDMI to HDMI to work if you get a card w/ an HDMI output all you have to do is use an SPDIF cable from your soundcard into the gpu and select it as the audio output. If all else fails just purchase a 1/8th cable to run from your card into your TV. Just make sure the input on the TV has it for audio if not then you'll have to purchase whatever cable it uses. Most of the time the TV will have DVI input labeled for PC w/ a 1/8th audio cable.

edit: you could try buying a used 9800gx2. Still a good card that performs like a GTX280 and has hdmi.

And it comes with a HDMI adapter, but please explain how it works. I mean it can't possibly push audio through that cause DVI does not use audio...right? So how will I get the audio to the LCD TV? I will be using an old audigy 2 ZS for sound, too. Also will this HDMI converter display a true 1080p image? My uncle is really big on making sure this thing can push out a true 1080p image so want to make sure.

Yes it does come with a DVI to HDMI adapter and it will do sound through the adapter along with 1080P resolution, my monitor has speakers and is full 1080P and I when I had the HDMI converter (They didn't send me one back when I RMA'd my card :() I could do 1920x1080 (thats 1080P) and I could also have sound via HDMI. All you have to do is once you hook up your HDMI adapter and have picture through HDMI is this: right click the speaker on the bottum right hand side of your computer if you are in vista, click playback devices and set "Digital Output Device (HDMI)" as default and you WILL have sound through the DVI to HDMI adapter, it's as simple as that. It does work on XP but I don't remember how.

dang....I swear it was $30 off last night. Oh well, Ill see if my uncle already ordered it.

Thanks for the help. I will either go with the 4850 or 4870 depending on if he already ordered it.

here is the full build if you guys were wondering:

Gigabyte UD3R
Q9400
G.Skill ddr2-800 2x2gb
Either 4850 or 4870
FSP Blue Storm II 500W
Seagate Barracuda 500GB (he won't trust WD :p)

thanks,
darkop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom