Maybe upgrading processor/ram/mobo soon, advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonny_uk

Fully Optimized
Ok want better fps in my games(battlefield 2142 online mostly) and i think my currant processor isnt pushing my 7950 GT 512mb to its limits so i want to get a new/faster processor.

Now i know what i want but that means if im going Intel i need a new mobo and if i get a new mobo i need new ram aswell so basically i want to know whats a good motherboard for a E6600 processor(i.e nice board thats troublefree) ? im not really interested in overclocking but as i said it has to be a troublefree board that i can just install everything no problems and run great, but i dont want to break the bank either!
And same goes for ram, all i know is that i need DDR2 ram, whats all this 4200/ 5200/7200? im guessing 7200 DRR2 ram is the fastest or something? agian i wont be overclocking the memory but would obviously like something thats nice and nippy out of the box.

I will be using my Antec 900 case, 520w OCZ PSU(i assume that will still be ok for this new processor/ram/mobo combination?) X-fi xtreme audio soundcard and my 7950GT, and anything else in my sig ive left out.

Thanks in advance

P.s im from the uk so no "newegg" sites etc, use Ebuyer if possible Ebuyer - Cheap Computers Laptops Digital Cameras Televisions

Should be able to find everything on there :D

If you're getting a C2D, it is strongly suggested to overclock. And overclocking is fool proof, now a days. Anyway, this motherboard and ram should go good with the e6600:

Motherboard:
MSI P6N SLI-FI nvidia 650i Socket 775 ATX

RAM:
Corsair (VS2GBKIT667D2) 2 x 1 GB DDR2 667 MHz 2x128Mx64non-ECC 2x240 DIMM Unbuffered CL5
if overclocking:
Corsair (TWIN2X2048-6400) XMS2-6400 2048MB 5-5-5-12 2X240 DIMM Black XMS2 Heat Spreader

Or if you don't want to overclock, then I would probably suggest going the AM2 route, with the AMD X2 6000+. It is a little cheaper, and on par with the e6600...or I think a bit faster.

X2 6000+:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Socket AM2 Retail Boxed Processor

Motherboard:
Gigabyte GA M57SLI-S4 SKT AM2 Nvidia MCP55P PCI-E 8Channel audio ATX

RAM:
Corsair (VS2GBKIT667D2) 2 x 1 GB DDR2 667 MHz 2x128Mx64non-ECC 2x240 DIMM Unbuffered CL5

wow only 80-90 for the ram? how come theres some for like £200? is it purly because of the brand and the fast speed?

And im aware how easy it is to OC nowa days but i just dont like doing it simple as that, and with the E6600 i shouldnt even need to OC it because its fast out of the box. :D

Is going for a £50-£60 mobo ok aswell? i mean theres some well over £100.

EDITED to say i could afford the XSM2 6400 ram if its better than the other suggestion? i wont be ocing but i think its better even without ocing it, right?

If you're not overclocking, you won't need the faster ram. You won't notice the difference.

The ram you see over 7200, is high performance ram, for overclocking, which you don't need.

And even though, those motherboards are cheap, they are good.

edit: I suggest going the AM2 route with the X2 6000+, if you're not overclocking. It's also a little cheaper than the Intel.

yeah its very tempting to stick with AMD(for the obvious reason) and also because its a fair bit cheaper for the processor and it performs the same.

I will just wait for a few more people to see if they agree aswell.

Is there any reviews i can see of comparisons to the E6600 and the X2 6000?

Its very close then isnt it, basically it doesnt justify spending an extra £50 on the Intel(if im not overclocking) hmmm but then the E6600 might last me longer if i decided to overclock later.

Make my mind up time i think!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom