Maximus II Formula vs. Rampage Formula? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 12:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Maximus II Formula vs. Rampage Formula?

Hello everybody,

I've once again have been contemplating upgrading components in my PC. currently I am running this:

MOBO: GA-P35-DS3R
CPU: Q6600 (Tuniq Tower Heat Sink)
PSU: Corsair 550vw
GPU: Nvidia 8800gtx
RAM: Corsair Dominator PC2-8500

First off I was looking at upgrading the Motherboard. I've had my eyes on the Maximus II Formula, and the Rampage Formula. Between the P45, and the x48 it's a tough decision. I also understand the x48 has the advantage with crossfire which I'm not certain if the 10% increase (or so I've heard) is worth it. Granted it is more "future proof".

The P45 seems more in my range, even though to me the price range is nominal, with the new processors around the corner I was wondering if it's even worth considering something that doesn't support DDR3, even though it's not a standard now it seems.

I never really thought about using dub video cards, though I understand I only own a 8800GTX, which was super expensive at the time, but seemed to have flaws and seemingly got replaced by the superior 8800Ultra (respectively, considering the new G280 series n' such).

I also am wanting to look into water cooling at least my CPU to start off with... been looking at the Swift Tech Apogee GTZ water block, all the rest is needing to be figured out at a later date... but for now the big focus is what to do on the motherboard... but... I was wondering if DDR3 is going to be the normal just around the corner what's the point of getting anything else?

All opinions/recommendations are appreciated!

Thx,
blucube

Old 02-07-2009, 05:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: Maximus II Formula vs. Rampage Formula?

i would probably recommend holding out and saving for an i7 system once prices come down a little. It's what I am doing. But, if you absolutely need to upgrade, just give us an limit and well help you out

Old 02-07-2009, 06:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
I feel funny...

Send a message via AIM to thirdshiftdj

DDR3 will not be fully implemented until 2010. Advantages of x48 is the memory controller is alot better than p45. They both will hit around the same fsb max. X48 will run hotter and xfire w/ both is good. The differences for xfire between both boards is minimal. i7 is too high end at this point in time. If you don't bench there's no point in getting it. Stick to P45 or X48 you can't really lose.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdshiftdj View Post
DDR3 will not be fully implemented until 2010. Advantages of x48 is the memory controller is alot better than p45. They both will hit around the same fsb max. X48 will run hotter and xfire w/ both is good. The differences for xfire between both boards is minimal. i7 is too high end at this point in time. If you don't bench there's no point in getting it. Stick to P45 or X48 you can't really lose.
I respect the gentleman's post before you, but would you agree that the process of waiting for the next transition is almost futile? I could be wrong, but I waited years until I finally dropped the hammer on my previous build, and sure enough a week after something knocked my set out of the ball park. It just seems like if you wait for something, that by the time that comes out you'll find yourself waiting even longer for the next thing thats coming out.

Though that brings a good point, once again it's a hard decision. I really don't want to make the jump to DDR3 as of yet because I feel the price for the performance is nominal, if not even out ran by DDR2-1066... though you make it sound like it'll be another good year before for your typical hobbiest has any reason to get i7 technology if you plan on upgrading in the next couple of weeks...

By the way... I was reading through the nub myths thread, and was interested in FSB... I've been OC'ing my Q6600 on my P35 board for a while. Though I think I need to understand FSB as you were mentioning a little futher... would you be able to break it down or maybe even provide a decent resource that could help me understand FSB?
Old 02-07-2009, 07:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to philbar71

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP45T-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

i have that mobo. i hit 500FSB on it with my q9300

if you didnt want to spend alot of money and run DDR3

The only thing ATi can render faster than nVidia is the BSOD

SLI ON INTEL P45: http://www.techist.com/pc/f76/sli-intel-chipset-219886/

<<< i like rep :D
Old 02-07-2009, 07:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

So what do you want to know about water cooling?

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Old 02-07-2009, 08:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire.comptech View Post
So what do you want to know about water cooling?
Thanks for volunteering, I actually just now threw a thread here

First CPU Watercooling setup

But overall I did a bunch of research on it and felt solid on what I wanted months ago but forgot because I work too much. I'm starting off just doing the CPU I believe, I OC now and again. I get pretty addicted to it once I get into it. So I'm hoping that with a WC system + Asus board I can have a lot of fun with it... a bit more than what Gigabyte has allowed me (plus, even though a good board, it looks like a carnival)

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbar71 View Post
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP45T-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

i have that mobo. i hit 500FSB on it with my q9300

if you didnt want to spend alot of money and run DDR3
That board looks pretty good, but I'm getting off Gigabyte I think... It's been a great board, but I really think I'd like to try Asus and see if I can tell a difference... it's kind of like when you buy a $10 pair of pants, or the $99 pair of pants syndrome =P
Old 02-08-2009, 05:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
I feel funny...

Send a message via AIM to thirdshiftdj

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucube View Post
I respect the gentleman's post before you, but would you agree that the process of waiting for the next transition is almost futile? I could be wrong, but I waited years until I finally dropped the hammer on my previous build, and sure enough a week after something knocked my set out of the ball park. It just seems like if you wait for something, that by the time that comes out you'll find yourself waiting even longer for the next thing thats coming out.

Though that brings a good point, once again it's a hard decision. I really don't want to make the jump to DDR3 as of yet because I feel the price for the performance is nominal, if not even out ran by DDR2-1066... though you make it sound like it'll be another good year before for your typical hobbiest has any reason to get i7 technology if you plan on upgrading in the next couple of weeks...

By the way... I was reading through the nub myths thread, and was interested in FSB... I've been OC'ing my Q6600 on my P35 board for a while. Though I think I need to understand FSB as you were mentioning a little futher... would you be able to break it down or maybe even provide a decent resource that could help me understand FSB?
I'm not saying to wait for i7, I'm saying you may not even need it. The q6600 is still a great processor and w/ a simple mobo upgrade you wouldn't need anything for awhile. Only benchers or people starting builds from the ground up are going i7. I wouldn't recommend an i7 build unless it fell under those terms. Also this is Tech, there's always something better around the corner.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie

The main reason not to really upgrade to i7 now is that 95% of programs, games still cant even utilize a quad core 775 still. There is nothing that really takes advantage of having 4 cores. Not saying you wouldnt see a small jump in performance with the i7 but to have to buy memory, board, and chip for something that cant be used to its fullest is a waste of time IMO. Once they can start to optimize everything for quad cores is when il get rid of my q9550 and make the transision over.
Vista Ultimate 64bit
Radeon 4870 512mb

[img]//www.speedtest.net/result/396631319.png[/img]
Old 02-09-2009, 02:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michowski View Post
The main reason not to really upgrade to i7 now is that 95% of programs, games still cant even utilize a quad core 775 still. There is nothing that really takes advantage of having 4 cores. Not saying you wouldnt see a small jump in performance with the i7 but to have to buy memory, board, and chip for something that cant be used to its fullest is a waste of time IMO. Once they can start to optimize everything for quad cores is when il get rid of my q9550 and make the transision over.
yeah thanks for that... I was just looking at something, the rampage memory standards seem to be 1200(OC)/1066/800 while the maximus II just states 1200.... now does that necessarily mean that it will only be friendly with 1200?

Closed Thread