madmax670

Baseband Member
Hey, just put together this computer based on some recommendations i read here

P5k Deluxe
q6600
2gb crucial ballistix
evga 8800gt
corsair hx520

What are some things i can do to maximize the potential of this thing. Some programs i can download, some things i can read and so fourth. (should i get another 2gb of ram?, i want to play crysis)

I am running xp x64 right now because i am waiting for vista ultimate x64 to finish downloading

Thanks in advance.

Looks pretty much on top of things at the moment, Get a aftermarket cpu cooler if you don't already have one and overclock your cpu.

You dont have to download anything to overclock the CPU. The only thing that you need to download is a temp monitoring program. Overclocking is done in the BIOS.

Is there a tutorial where i can read some info about overclocking it. I have the thermalright 120 extreme.

Is there any potential I can unlock other than overclocking (drivers i may have forgotten to install, things of that nature)

Overclocking from programs have given me nightmares too. the simplest thing to do is download ATItool for you GPU though, it is very effevtive at ocing your gpu and it DOES work on nvidia cards (i got my 6600 from 1GHz mem DDR to 1.3GHZ mem DDR without a hitch :p). It also has a nifty "scan for atrefacts" feature to allow you to test ur oc to see if it stable

Chipset drivers help performance. Also always use the freshest video card drivers that you can, not the ones on the disk.

yeah, try the nvidia beta forceware. Its always the best imo, and the only thing about them that sets them apart is the non-WHQL which makes no difference anyhow...

Make sure that you have less than 40 background processes running at once (although it shouldnt make much of a difference on your C2Q) IMO you shouldnt try vista, XP x64 is better. Stick with 2GB RAM if your staying on XP, get 4GB if using Vista (though I strongly advise against Vista)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom