Major Computer Upgrade - Advice (Mobo and CPU)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarik :: Tentsu

Baseband Member
Okay, so I've got a budget of $2500 to blow on a new system. This will primarily be for regular use, as well as video editing, encoding and rendering. A bit of games, but not so much.

So far:
CPU: Toss up between Q6600 and E8400 (Aka Xeon E3110). Plan to overclock. Obviously, the Q6600 would be better for my video editing, however, I'm just not sure I can justify buying such an old card...plus, the if I OC it to 3.6GHz, my RAM will only be able to run 1:1 at 800MHz, while for the latter, I can run my RAM at 1066MHz when it's OCed to 4.4GHz.

RAM: Depending on whether I get the Q6600 or E8400, I'll get 800MHz or 1066MHz RAM respectively. I'm looking at 2*1GB sticks - though I'm curious to know whether getting an extra 2*512MB sticks would be worth it.

Graphics: 8800GT

Cooling: Tuniq Tower 120 LFB - Meaning, I'd prefer anything like Gigabytes Crazy Cool stuff (though I hear that is still easy enough to remove...)

Other less important items: Samsung 22" LCD 226BW (S-panel or A-panel), Samsung 15" LCD 153v, Harmon Kardon Soundsticks II Speaker System, a decent 550W+ PSU, 2*500GB SATAII, 2*250GB SATA, 1*320GB SATA (in X-Craft Enclosure), Antec 1000AMG PlusView, Razer Diamondback, Saitek Gaming Keyboard - (A lot of that stuff I'm keeping from my current system)

Now, any thoughts on the Q6600 and E8400 debate? Is the extra 233MHz of RAM worth it for general loading speeds? Keep in mind while Premiere, After Effects and VirtualDub are the highest process hungry thing I'll do, most of it will just be general internet/media usage.

More importantly...I'm kinda stuck on choosing a mobo - P35 vs 780i vs X38 vs 750i.

I hear half of the ones that are rated for DDR2-800MHz, can still hit higher RAM clock speeds - is that true?

I won't be using SLi or Crossfire. I will be overclocking heavily. I need a decent onboard audio, two 1394 (6-pin) ports, at *least* 6 internal SATA (preferably 8 all up), one IDE and the rest of the usual stuff. A CMOS reset jumper/button would be nice too.

I doubt I'll make another major upgrade for 4 years, so the Mobo does need to be future proof...or at least, somewhat future proof. Though, at the same time, all I might do is change the graphics card, or add RAM. Mainly it'll just be adding more and more Hard Drives and other devices.

Considering that, what would be my number one candidate?

~Jarik

Thanks for the advice mate. I'll take a look at that board - not too sure about the cooling though (Gotta see if I can find a supplier) around (Melbourne, Australia)

~Jarik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom