Mainboard FSB, help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HELPMEPLZ

Baseband Member
Hi,

I'm thinking of upgrading to a Intel Core2Duo E6600 or even a 6750 if FSB permits, i'm currently using a Intel Celeron D Dual Core 3.4MHz.

A couple of questions,

#1: Would this upgrade be worth the money? (Mainly for gaming)

and secondly, i noticed on the 6750 descriptions it has a 1333MHz mainboard required FSB, and the 6600's a 1033MHz FSB required. Now i'm no whiz so i need some help finding out what my mainboards FSB is, and if these CPU's will work on it if it's not that high + the downsides/upsides to it.

Intel&reg Desktop Board DP965LT Overview is my motherboard.

I noticed just then within that description it says

"
Support for an Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor in an LGA775 socket with a 1066 or 800 MHz system bus
"

Does that mean i can use the 6600 but not the 6750's as the FSB is to high? or am i looking at the wrong thing? or?

Any help appreciated ASAP ^_^

Hi,

I'm thinking of upgrading to a Intel Core2Duo E6600 or even a 6750 if FSB permits, i'm currently using a Intel Celeron D Dual Core 3.4MHz.

A couple of questions,

#1: Would this upgrade be worth the money? (Mainly for gaming)

and secondly, i noticed on the 6750 descriptions it has a 1333MHz mainboard required FSB, and the 6600's a 1033MHz FSB required. Now i'm no whiz so i need some help finding out what my mainboards FSB is, and if these CPU's will work on it if it's not that high + the downsides/upsides to it.

Intel&reg Desktop Board DP965LT Overview is my motherboard.

I noticed just then within that description it says

"
Support for an Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor in an LGA775 socket with a 1066 or 800 MHz system bus
"

Does that mean i can use the 6600 but not the 6750's as the FSB is to high? or am i looking at the wrong thing? or?

Any help appreciated ASAP ^_^

definitely.. ur moving from low-end single core to a dual-core (high end) get the e6750 but first flash your BIOS first...

my cpu is dual core, pentium D is dual core :-/

And my motherboard description doesn't say it supports the Core 2 Duo 1333MHz, can i still use the 6750?

nope.. get an e6420 or e6320 instead then...

is the upgrade from a 3.40ghz pentium d dual core to a core2duo e6320 1.8ghz dual core even noticable? i've been worried cause i understand it's not all clock speed now and the 2.13GHz core2duos outperform 3.4+ dual cores, but going from 3.4 to 1.8 - isn't that a big drop?

is the upgrade from a 3.40ghz pentium d dual core to a core2duo e6320 1.8ghz dual core even noticable? i've been worried cause i understand it's not all clock speed now and the 2.13GHz core2duos outperform 3.4+ dual cores, but going from 3.4 to 1.8 - isn't that a big drop?

clock speed days are gone... yes the Pentium D is outperformed heavily by the Core 2 Duo... lets find some benchies..

12589.png

here.. a really demanding game.. at a really high resolution.... and look at the Pentium D EE clocked at 3.73ghz getting whooped by a Core 2 Duo at 2.4 ghz... the new architecture makes it run cooler and faster

that....is a 1 year+ old benchmark, the e6320 would probably be getting 70+ , when OC'ing to 3.0

well duh.... i can't find a recent benchmark with the Pentium D and AMD ones on it too... even tho its old... it still has reliable info... but its more like 80fps on an oc'ed e6320

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom