Macintosh sex change

Status
Not open for further replies.

yot

Solid State Member
so i think im going to build a PC inside of an old mac plus. obviously id gut the mac first. i would like to make it the best i possibly can. any suggestions on parts and methods?

mac-plus.jpg

You'll want to find a VERY small LCD to put in there, and you should probably remove its casing to make as much room as possible. You'll want a Mini-ATX motherboard, and you'll need to cut some space for the I/O cluster. For expansion ports, you could make a rack of them from an existing case and fit it in there somehow. You might just want to go with putting your PSU outside the case, but if you have room, make sure it can ventilate properly. Also, passive cooling is your friend in this situation.

Orayn said:
You'll want to find a VERY small LCD to put in there, and you should probably remove its casing to make as much room as possible. You'll want a Mini-ATX motherboard, and you'll need to cut some space for the I/O cluster. For expansion ports, you could make a rack of them from an existing case and fit it in there somehow. You might just want to go with putting your PSU outside the case, but if you have room, make sure it can ventilate properly. Also, passive cooling is your friend in this situation.

awseme suggestions! ill keep everyone updated as i build it.

the mini-atx motherboard i hadnt thought of, again thanks for the suggestions.

Dimensions would be really helpful right now, as I'm willing to look up part sizes, etc. for you.
EDIT: Looks like it's exactly 9.6" wide, the size of a mATX motherboard. You may or may not be able to fit it in there, but godspeed. Also, you'll basically have to rip the back of it off for expansion ports and an I/O cluster.
EDIT AGAIN: Looks like you'd have more luck with a Mac Classic, which is marginally wider, so you could probably fit the motherboard in.
MORE EDIT: Mounting the motherboard sideways is potentially an option. However, that still leaves you with the problem of expansion ports, cutting open the back for an I/O cluster, 5.5/3.5" drive bays, and whether or not there are actually any LCDs that would fit in screen slot. You've really got your work cut out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom