Is lubricating a fan a good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ric0h

Over and Above Person
I will be using a "special" bike lubricator (really expensive by the way)

I just wanna know if its a good idea, and if it will work.

The bike lubricator is around 2 oz and is like 8 bucks or so.

I don't know why but I feel that is better than going to buy a new fan.

1. How much life is removed on average when you overclock a processor? (low overclocking)

2. Should fans ever be replaced? I been using a fan for over 3 years or so (this is the one I would like to lubricate) and it seems to still be working.

So why do you what to lubricate your fan? Is it squeaking?

What fan is going bad on you? Case? CPU?

It sounds like you might need a new fan, fans only have a certain amount of life hours. So to answer your question fans do need replacing after time.

Every single fan in this computer is atleast 2 or more years old. and this computer is heavily used, Around 10 or more hours a day.

So I was thinking if maybe a drop of lubricator can help the fans. (except the cpu and psu fan.)

i think those websites are sorta snake oil pushers. if your fans are noisy, its probably too late because the bearings have already gone. when a bearing goes, theres no turning back time... its just blown. You dont just want to spray oil based lube into your fan, it will probably screw up the electric motor.
i bet the stuff their selling on the websites are some kind of graphite lubricant. it is less runny and is electrically inert. they do give good advice in that you only want the lubricant on the actual bearing, as opposed to just saturating the whole thing.

Yeah I've heard that it works.. but you have to remove the cover and get it right in the middle. Like cwiz said, don't dump tons of oil all over the entire thing.

Heh, I might try it now. So I have to take the whole thing off, got it.
K.

Just that, I dont have that special oil the website mentions, just expensive bike oil lol.
It does not drip, or absorbs dust, so it should work.

i think those websites are sorta snake oil pushers. if your fans are noisy, its probably too late because the bearings have already gone. when a bearing goes, theres no turning back time... its just blown. You dont just want to spray oil based lube into your fan, it will probably screw up the electric motor.
i bet the stuff their selling on the websites are some kind of graphite lubricant. it is less runny and is electrically inert. they do give good advice in that you only want the lubricant on the actual bearing, as opposed to just saturating the whole thing.

For goodness sake CWIZ, that sort of comment is OK when talking about some sort of old-fashioned fans with ball-bearings. When they made a noise the balls had actually become square! But a modern high-speed fan - especially a tiny one for a laptop - has different bearings. There is a wedge of lubricant that really does dry out. Add some more and the bearing can be fine again.
And they are not selling graphite lubricant. Take the time to check out the product and it is a high-tech silicone product. I haven't used it, but I intend to try it...

Yeah I've heard that it works.. but you have to remove the cover and get it right in the middle. Like cwiz said, don't dump tons of oil all over the entire thing.

If you can uncover a fan to replace it, surely you can remove the cover to lubricate it! In a laptop, the bearing of the cooling fan is often just covered with a sticky label... I've often improved the performance of noisy fans this way using ordinary household lubricants, but the difference is sometimes temporary. I'm interested to hear of something made exactly for the job, so I think I will have a go with some.
It really doesn't make sense to be lubricating a high-speed electrical fan with a lubricant designed a hundred years ago for a lawn mower or a push bike, does it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom