Low Budget build - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-09-2009, 02:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Jumping_Bean514's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 752
Send a message via AIM to Jumping_Bean514
Default Low Budget build

So this is my second Build that I will be ordering in the next few days, first is linked below. The person I'm building this for is a big time photo editor and that's about it. there will be a modest amount of multi tasking and I want the build to have same room for expansion. There will be extremely light gaming (as in like Disney games) along with a little Bryce work. There will be NO OVERCLOCKING on this one so I'm going with a stock cooler. I'm trying to keep the build around 600$. Comments and opinions welcome.

Other build I'm working on...
New Build for a friend

---------------

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Newegg.com - ASRock A780GXE/128M AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 920 2.8GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - ASUS EAH4670/DI/512M/A Radeon HD 4670 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Newegg.com - LG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE 22X DVD±R DVD Burner LightScribe Support - CD / DVD Burners
__________________

__________________
Bedroom Rig:
HP Pavillion Mini Tower Case
Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 800MHz
Hyundai 128MB PC100 SDRAM @ 3-2-2-5
Vision Tek Xtasy 9200SE PCI 128MB @ 200/400
19GB Quantum Fireball

Don't be jealous!
Jumping_Bean514 is offline  
Old 07-09-2009, 05:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lady Techie
 
Yami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 7,773
Default Re: Low Budget build

I would recommend more storage space for heavy video editing (1TB at minimum!), but other than that everything looks good.
__________________

__________________
Desktop i5-4440 - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 - EVGA GTX970 - 4x4GB 1600MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - Be Silent Base 800 - 3TB+1TB+1TB+640GB
Laptop i7-3740QM @ 2.7GHz, 2x4GB 1600Mhz, GT640M, OCZ Agility 3 120GB
Smartphone Galaxy S7 Edge

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Yami is offline  
Old 07-09-2009, 05:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 74
Default Re: Low Budget build

The only thing Id change is the HDD to this: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

The Black edition is only 5 bucks more and comes with double the cache size.
Sir Cumference is offline  
Old 07-09-2009, 10:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
veg1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,993
Default Re: Low Budget build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumping_Bean514 View Post
So this is my second Build that I will be ordering in the next few days, first is linked below. The person I'm building this for is a big time photo editor and that's about it. there will be a modest amount of multi tasking and I want the build to have same room for expansion. There will be extremely light gaming (as in like Disney games) along with a little Bryce work. There will be NO OVERCLOCKING on this one so I'm going with a stock cooler. I'm trying to keep the build around 600$. Comments and opinions welcome.

Other build I'm working on...
New Build for a friend

---------------

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Newegg.com - ASRock A780GXE/128M AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 920 2.8GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - ASUS EAH4670/DI/512M/A Radeon HD 4670 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Newegg.com - LG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE 22X DVD±R DVD Burner LightScribe Support - CD / DVD Burners
I'd replace your current board and CPU with these... even though you aren't overclocking this board has better power regulation and the CPU is faster at stock
__________________
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.


.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
veg1992 is offline  
Old 07-09-2009, 02:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Jumping_Bean514's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 752
Send a message via AIM to Jumping_Bean514
Default Re: Low Budget build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamikotai View Post
I would recommend more storage space for heavy video editing (1TB at minimum!), but other than that everything looks good.
No video only photo...

Quote:
I'd replace your current board and CPU with these... even though you aren't overclocking this board has better power regulation and the CPU is faster at stock
With what? I think you forgot to link.

Quote:
The only thing Id change is the HDD to this: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

The Black edition is only 5 bucks more and comes with double the cache size.
Intriguing.... You seen any bench marks to show even a slight speed increase?
__________________
Bedroom Rig:
HP Pavillion Mini Tower Case
Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 800MHz
Hyundai 128MB PC100 SDRAM @ 3-2-2-5
Vision Tek Xtasy 9200SE PCI 128MB @ 200/400
19GB Quantum Fireball

Don't be jealous!
Jumping_Bean514 is offline  
Old 07-09-2009, 02:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
veg1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,993
Default Re: Low Budget build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumping_Bean514 View Post
No video only photo...



With what? I think you forgot to link.



Intriguing.... You seen any bench marks to show even a slight speed increase?
Ahh fail... I was eating and forgot them... my bad

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
__________________
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.


.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
veg1992 is offline  
Old 07-09-2009, 07:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
muffin enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: new york
Posts: 2,724
Default Re: Low Budget build

could go with this ram, 2$ less, better timings

Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2RPR800C44GK - Desktop Memory

if the pic shows 3 modules, just disregard that, newegg's fault O.o
Muffin Man is offline  
Old 07-09-2009, 09:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Jumping_Bean514's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 752
Send a message via AIM to Jumping_Bean514
Default Re: Low Budget build

Alright, so after taking some comments into consideration and re-looking at a few things myself, this is what I have. I'll probably be ordering today or tomorrow. Q&C welcome

Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2RPR800C44GK - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - ASUS EAH4670/DI/512M/A Radeon HD 4670 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Newegg.com - LG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE 22X DVD±R DVD Burner LightScribe Support - CD / DVD Burners

615$ with 60$ in rebates.
__________________
Bedroom Rig:
HP Pavillion Mini Tower Case
Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 800MHz
Hyundai 128MB PC100 SDRAM @ 3-2-2-5
Vision Tek Xtasy 9200SE PCI 128MB @ 200/400
19GB Quantum Fireball

Don't be jealous!
Jumping_Bean514 is offline  
Old 07-09-2009, 09:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
muffin enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: new york
Posts: 2,724
Default Re: Low Budget build

get this case/psu instead

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

and with the money saved get this drive instead with twice the cache

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
Muffin Man is offline  
Old 07-09-2009, 09:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Jumping_Bean514's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 752
Send a message via AIM to Jumping_Bean514
Default Re: Low Budget build

That's the same case/psu combo I had in my original post. The reason I changed it is because that PSU only has a 4pin CPU connector. I'll consider upgrading to the faster drive though.

Edit: I switched to the faster drive... its 5$ wth.
__________________

__________________
Bedroom Rig:
HP Pavillion Mini Tower Case
Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 800MHz
Hyundai 128MB PC100 SDRAM @ 3-2-2-5
Vision Tek Xtasy 9200SE PCI 128MB @ 200/400
19GB Quantum Fireball

Don't be jealous!
Jumping_Bean514 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Low budget gaming build Tonyfort New Systems | Building and Buying 10 03-15-2009 05:13 AM
Please help with yet another budget build... Nahledge New Systems | Building and Buying 10 02-23-2009 11:52 AM
Help with a build 1600 budget d0ntcar3 New Systems | Building and Buying 3 02-21-2009 11:32 PM
New Build w/ Low Budget *Need Help* page006 New Systems | Building and Buying 8 05-19-2008 08:57 PM
Need psu and low end vid card for build Shafra System Upgrades 7 10-15-2007 12:16 AM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.