Loud Server

JamesBond

Baseband Member
Hey,

So I have my server built, running Oracle Virtual Box and 1 Virtual Machine.

I noticed as soon as I set this up, the back fan starts running a lot faster and the noise is significantly louder, is there any way to make it quieter and/or check that another fan is doing its job correctly?

Thanks!

Is it the case fan?

Where is it plugged into? Mobo or PSU?

Your fan could be broke or just a high speed fan. Only really way to quiet it up is a new one.

Noctuas are great fans and from Austria, so they should be cheap for you.

if your not connected to the mother board case fan ports, it is possible to change the voltage going into the case fan from 12 volts to 7 or 5 volts, but you'll need to modify your molex connectors, that may or may not be a challenge your up to do

Is it the case fan?

Where is it plugged into? Mobo or PSU?

Your fan could be broke or just a high speed fan. Only really way to quiet it up is a new one.

Noctuas are great fans and from Austria, so they should be cheap for you.

It is the case fan, i can not remember where it is plugged into. Basically at the moment it is fairly quiet because the house/room is not very hot. Yesterday it was really hot outside and the room was humid, plus the sun was coming in on the computer. I guess it made everything hot so the fan was working overtime? Is there a way to get a watercooling system rather than adding more fans?

if your not connected to the mother board case fan ports, it is possible to change the voltage going into the case fan from 12 volts to 7 or 5 volts, but you'll need to modify your molex connectors, that may or may not be a challenge your up to do

I do not know how to do this, I am up for anything.. Just need it to be quiet because the place I am living it not mine, and the computer is behind the TV in the main lounge and I can't have the people I am staying with listening to it every evening/day

Watercooling wont help if it's the case fan.
Are you absolutely certain it's the case fan and not the stock CPU fan working over time? Those FX chips get toasty. What case and which fan inside of it is making all the noise?

If it was hot yesterday and noisy, then today it is cooler and quiet.....Then you may need to check the inside for excessive dust build up, or find a cooler place for the pc. It sounds like the fans were trying to do what they are supposed to do, keep your pc cool. Electronic parts like the parts inside computers do not like heat. It will shorten it's lifespan, and makes for an unhappy pc user

If it was hot yesterday and noisy, then today it is cooler and quiet.....Then you may need to check the inside for excessive dust build up, or find a cooler place for the pc. It sounds like the fans were trying to do what they are supposed to do, keep your pc cool. Electronic parts like the parts inside computers do not like heat. It will shorten it's lifespan, and makes for an unhappy pc user

He just got this thing so I doubt it's dusty.
I'm betting the morons who put it together for him plugged one of the case fans into the CPU fan header causing that to spin up when the CPU gets hot. Or they set the auto function to the wrong device temp.

I agree....it should be checked out to see if the cpu and fan headers are correct

The number of fans and the direction of the fans and air flow, Having it in a hot room in the sun are all bad scenario's for any computer.

Last edited:

Definitely no dust. A cooler place for the PC maybe an option, but not many places in this house.

He just got this thing so I doubt it's dusty.
I'm betting the morons who put it together for him plugged one of the case fans into the CPU fan header causing that to spin up when the CPU gets hot. Or they set the auto function to the wrong device temp.

How do I check these things? Yes no doubt they probably did something wrong

I agree....it should be checked out to see if the cpu and fan headers are correct

The number of fans and the direction of the fans and air flow, Having it in a hot room in the sun are all bad scenario's for any computer.

Instructions and I will be more than happy to check it out

You have to take the side panel off with the PC running to see which fan is running loud. Then you need to trace where they have it plugged in. Tell us what the lettering says on the motherboard near the fan header. Then in the bios we can tell you what to set.

Back
Top Bottom