Lots of questions help....

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinoy3000

Daemon Poster
Okay, here are my questions...... these are the things that im unsure of so please help :D

1. If I change my mobo and I have an OEM Version of Vista, do I have to reinstall windows vista because I will still have Windows Vista installed on my raptor harddrive.? If not, will it work even though I changed my mobo? Does the OEM part only take effect if I changed my mobo and have to reinstall windows?

2. I have a replacement plan on both my CPU and Mobo at CompUSA, we currently dont have the ASUS P5B Deluxe in stock and I want the 680i Mobo so I can get that instead, should I use my replacement plan to get the 680i mobo and Q6600 CPU or wait till a year right before its about to expire and replace both of them at that time where Ill get better motherboard with maybe DDR3 and PCIE 2.0?

3. I was about to purchase a 2GB set of RAM. The Corsair XM2 or something like that PC6400 DDR2 800MHz 5-5-5-12 timing. Its on sale at CompUSA with $30.00 mail in rebate. I pay $80.00 for it with my discount plus the $30.00 mail in rebate which brings it down to $50.00 with Mail in rebate for a 2GB RAM.

My question is will it affect my overall performance like I mean downgrade it if I use two different types of RAM? G.Skill and Corsair? My manager told me that if I have 2 G.Skill running in Dual Channel and a different matching RAM that is also running in Dual Channel in the other slots it wont downgrade my speeds/performance at all. Is that true? Also im Overclocking, so will both RAMs run at my Overclocked settings? or will it be difficult and I should just get the same exact ram despite its cost?

Heres the RAM im talking about, tomorrow is the last day for it to be on sale so I need answers thanks :D

CompUSA.com - Corsair Memory Xtreme Performance TwinX Matched 2GB( 2 x 1 GB ) PC2-6400 800MHz 240 pin DDR2 DIMM Memory Kit - TWIN2X2048-6400 - Computer Upgrades » Memory Upgrades » Desktop Memory

Actually the rebate ended today :( Grr ahhhh

Hm... im sure I had more questions but thats it for now :D

Thanks in advance.

stick with your current build in ure signature! i would not even consider any sort of upgrade until at least a year from now

a1: If you change mobos, you might need to do a repair.

a2: Don't get a DDR3 mobo.

a3: Great ram, good price.

a4: There should be four slots, two slots per DDR channel.

a1: If you change mobos, you might need to do a repair.

a2: Don't get a DDR3 mobo.

a3: Great ram, good price.

a4: There should be four slots, two slots per DDR channel.

1. Will repairing require me to um... re-register windows?

2. Why not? :D

3. ye too bad i think today was the last day for rebates. :(

4. Ye mine is kinda confusing. My mobo looks like this....

untitled-9.jpg

See the yellow and black slots? both my RAMs are inserted in the yellow slot, but not sure if its right, the manual says......

Pretend it looks like this......

Y=Yellow B=Black

Y1 B1 Y2 B2
A1 A2 B1 B2

So not sure if I should plug both in same numbers or same letters. But in the manual shows how it should work so i did it that way, it showed the it should be plugged in the same color and what not but the stupid A1 A2 B1 B2 are confusing me.

Matching ram in matching colors.
DDR3 will run mainstream later on. If you get a board now, then it will be obsolete when it's mainstream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom