Loss of FPS after upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

shan1784

In Runtime
I upgraded over the holidays. I got the following:

Acer P243WAid Black-Silver 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor with HDCP Support 400 cd/m2 3000:1 ACM - Retail $339.99

Logitech X-540 70 watts 5.1 Speaker - Retail $78.99

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail $90.99

Everything works great and I am very happy with it all but when I play a game, Battlefield 2 with AIX mod for example, my frame rate has dropped from being capped solid at 100, using fraps to monitor fps, to 85 - 90...

The only thing I changed was the audio settings where I changed it to use the creative x-fi and enabled EAX support. It was perviously set to use hardware for the sound and performance was set to high.

I now that enabling the EAX takes the stereo sound and processes it for 5.1 output but I also thought that by adding a sound card and not using on board sound was supposed to help performance. The EAX works great by the way and sound amazing in game.

Also my desktop res is set to 1920 x 1200 but I don't have that option in BF2 I can only max it to 1680 x 1050 which was the max of my previous monitor.

I would think my system in my specs below should be able to handle BF2 and mods much better than this.

Any ideas as to what could be hampering my performance?

My first thought is there may be some crapware from Creative running in the background as a lot comes with their cards. Usually installing the driver package from their website side steps a lot of their junk.

Increasing your gaming resolution causes loss in FPS anyways.

Its something you should have expected from the get go.

Increasing your gaming resolution causes loss in FPS anyways.

Its something you should have expected from the get go.

My in game res hasn't changed though. I'm maxed at 1680 x 1050 and was never able to increase it above that.... I've always played at that res...

well it is possible that the EAX is taking up some cpu usage. have you tried turning it off? all though a q6600 should not be impacted by EAX. i can turn the eax on in any game and i notice no loss of frame rate, all though i have a q9300.

well it is possible that the EAX is taking up some cpu usage. have you tried turning it off? all though a q6600 should not be impacted by EAX. i can turn the eax on in any game and i notice no loss of frame rate, all though i have a q9300.

Well I have my Q6600 (old one) running at 3.6Ghz... Doesn't make sense to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom