Looking for work

Status
Not open for further replies.

gust_nul

In Runtime
Ok, Im 15 and Im really needing some work in computing, Ive done work for people I know in the past, but you normaily only get jobs every 6 months or so! and you dont really want to charge them loads because you know them and also because of my age.

Can anyone recomend what I should do, Im really needing some sort of work, and since i know about computing i think thats what i should do.

If you ever done any work around my age, please tell me and pass on some advice.

Thanks

Ps, if this is in the wrong place please move it..

I got pretty lucky I think. I was enrolled in a class called Tech Team at my high school. The teacher said someone who owned a local computer store asked him if anyone was interested in a job. So he said something to the class, and since I was the only one interested he told me what store it was and then I went in for an interview. BAM! Got a job on the spot after a short technical interview.

Basically, if you are interested in computers, try finding a local computer store and applying. Most places will require an A+ certification for you to do any repair work, so try and get that. Also, some places will like an MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional) Certification. Until you get certified, you could probably land a sales/retail job at a computer store. And if the boss ends up liking you, you could probably do repairs too.

Yeah like he said.

And quite honestly, you make way more on your own.

Hand out fliers in your neighborhood - you will make more than twice an hour what you get at a computer whop (which only works during business hours).

I purchased a decent 19 inch monitor, eight port switch, and some other gadgets, investing a couple hundred... Now I work around the clock (start scans or something when you stop at home and go back out ?), click buttons while im playing games on the other gaming rig i set up - and guess what, on only a couple units at a time, I get a few hundred a week!

well because of my age have been acused of takingf parts out of a computer, which i didnt... why would I take a 56k modem from some guys pc :S, Anyway, its kind of put me off working on pcs at my age, but im really stuck for cash"

where can i get an A+ Certificate, i mean what kind of school do i need to go to? i try to look up Computer schools in Toronto, Ontario, but i get all these colleges, isnt some kind of school for all ages or something? like getting ur first-aid certificate for baby sitting? can someone tell me where i can take this course in Toronto, im 15, 16 in october.

i'd ask your school if there are any tech positions you can fill.

nah, theres a guy does it, he is a complete %$^& , if someone forgets there password, he says fixing passwords isnt in his job.. What a loser

Doing it on your own can be lucrative, but remember when you do this, you are STARTING a BUSINESS. Without getting into all the tax business, you need to set yourself up and prepare yourself like a regular business would. Simple Stuff.

To prevent jerk-offs from accusing you of stealing, create an inventory form, list make/model, condition, you get my drift. Have the person SIGN this document. This comes under the First Fundamental of Small Business CYA (Cover Your A**).

A good way to drum up business would be like posting on Craigslist. Whenever I'm between contracts, my posts on there keep the funds going.

The best experience would be a small comp shop, get paid a reasonable rate, and you also tend to get discounts when you trying to jack up your own rig. Be flexible, as alot of these places are feast or famine.

Another thing I would do right now if I was your age is get ahold of Vista and learn that sucker front to back, by the time you graduate, that is when corporations will finally get around to installing a new OS in their environments.

I know thats alot to ponder, but I wish I was 16 again, ( we had MAC II se's back then). I would make a killing, instead of busting my back mowing grass.....:confused:

Very useful post ,but getting a copy of vista is very hard in my situtation... Wth out money!! And the microsoft licence is way too ex*****ve for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom