Looking to upgrade GPU...PSU aswell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack_who689

Baseband Member
So im running a MSI N580GTX 3gb lxe, and my PSU is corsair HX 850w, so far been able to oc my i7 2600k to 5.1ghz and slightly OC my gpu to 960mhz.

I already decided on buying another 580GTX to have a sli in this rig, now my question is would i have to upgrade my PSU? and if anyone can give me a perference on whats a pretty good psu out there

specs -

CPU: i7 2600k (5.1ghz)
Mobo: Gigabyte p67a-ud7-b3
Cpu cooler: Cooler master v10
GPU: MSI n580gtx 3gb lxe
psu: Corsair hx850w
sdd: 64gb samsung (boot drive)
hdd: 2tb Seagate barricuda

I'm pretty sure you'll need a new psu for the sli setup.
If you weren't overclocking, than the HX850 would be able to work. However with the OC, you'll want something more powerful.

From guru3d.com:
GeForce GTX 580 in SLI

A second card requires you to add another 250 Watts. You need a 900+ Watt power supply unit if you use it in a high-end system (1 KiloWatt recommended if you plan on any overclocking).
I'd go with the OCZ ZX 1000w, 80+ Gold, modular, single rail, and only $170 after rebate.

I ran his system through here: eXtreme Outer Vision - eXtreme tools for computer enthusiasts

At 90%, it looks like he will use 709W. At peak, 100% system load, it looks like 782W.

That is without factoring in the gpu oc, only the cpu oc. And I didn't know what the vcore OC was, so I only adjusted the MHz. Still, he should be in the clear. If anyone else wants to give it a go, be my guest.

Thanks for all the feedback, and just thought about sticking to 1200W PSU, in the future wanted to go with a 3-way sli and when i OC i dont want to have a problem coming from my PSU :)

heres a list of PSUs ive found(Yes of course i want the cheapest, but i really want to have a reliable one...):

Coolmax PSU 1200w:
Newegg.ca - Coolmax 1200W ATX12V v2.3 /EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Thermaltake 1200w:
TRX-1200M Thermaltake TRX-1200M TR2 RX 1200W ATX12V V2.3 Power Supply (Core i7 & Core i5 Ready) - Desktop Power Supply - SuperBiiz.com

Ocz 1250w:
Newegg.com - OCZ ZX Series 1250W Fully-Modular 80PLUS Gold High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

Coolermaster 1200w:
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RSC00-80GAD3-US 1200W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

This is what ive found, please a recommendation will help me out, ive found that all are pretty much good to go for my specs so was just gonna go with the cheapest lol unless someone has a second opinion...Im really leaning more to the Coolmax 1200w psu for some reason.

If it was my machine, and my 3 GTX 580s I was worried about not frying with a bad PSU, I'd get the OCZ, only brand you've linked that I trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom