looking for a new gaming rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

erkster

In Runtime
hey guys, i'm in the market for a new compy, and i was hoping you guys could recommend some parts, i hope to build it myself(if you have any building tips,they'd be more then welcome).
i need pretty much just the computer itself, i have a monitor, mouse, keyboard ect, though i do need the OS(would prefer windows 7) budget is 800-1000 CAD (taxes in) and i'd like to order from newegg.ca unless theres better deals eslewhere.

I mostly want it to be able to blow WoW out of the water(with a bit of MW2 and assassins creed 2 on the side), and i'd like it to easily multitask,and be really fast. I've heard a lot of good about solid state drives, and was wondering your guy's thoughts on them are(I don't need a lot of extra storage space, i'll still have my old computer's 320GB HD) also, i've heard about 6 core processors, are they any good for gaming?

any advice would be awesome, thanks

This build is $996 so it's pulsing the limits as far as the budget is concerned but there are $30 worth of mail in rebates. Since you mentioned being interested in SSDs and already have a hard drive fro storage I included a OCZ Agility 60gb SSD for your OS. I have a Agility in my desktop and have been extremely happy with it's performance, it's noticeably faster than any conventional hard drive and was well worth the money.

The 6 core processors don't really make much of a difference in gaming vs equivalent Quad cores so they aren't worth the increased cost in my opinion.

Newegg.ca - Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD/CD Rewritable Drive - CD / DVD Burners

Newegg.ca - COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Newegg.ca - BIOSTAR TA790GXBE AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX ATX AMD Motherboard

Newegg.ca - SAPPHIRE 100283-2L Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Newegg.ca - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Newegg.ca - OCZ Blade Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Desktop Memory Model OCZ2B10664GK

Newegg.ca - OCZ Agility Series OCZSSD2-1AGT60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Newegg.ca - AMD Phenom II x4 945 + Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit combo deal

very nice build, and i'd get it in a heart beat, but taxes in + shipping, it came too $1,171 CAD was hoping to not break 4 digits ($1050 is as high as i can go, taxes and shipping in).

any ideas at what i could cut back on to not lose to much quality, but reduce the price?

ok, i looked around, and came up with these two things:

Newegg.ca - COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Newegg.ca - CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

i'm honestly not sure how good these parts are or if their compatable, was hoping someone could let me know if they are, also, does anyone see any other parts that could be replaced with cheaper. I still need to cut about $100 CAD off the price.

thanks

how about this,

Newegg.ca - AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition Heka 2.8GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
since the cpu is oem, it wouldn't come with a cooler. this one doesn't cost too much but will get the job done better than the stock cooler.
Newegg.ca - Cooler Master Intel Core i5 compatible Hyper TX3 Socket 775/1156/AMD 130W 92mm "heatpipe direct contact" CPU Cooler RR-910-HTX3-G1

Newegg.ca - MSI 770-G45 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard

Newegg.ca - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

Newegg.ca - HIS H577FM1GD Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Newegg.ca - XCLIO Godspeed 747 Fully Black Finish 0.5 mm SECC / ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Newegg.ca - SILVERSTONE ST50F-ES 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Newegg.ca - Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD/CD Rewritable Drive - CD / DVD Burners

Newegg.ca - OCZ Agility Series OCZSSD2-1AGT60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
if you do get an ssd, you'll want to get a bracket to secure it in place, like this one.
Newegg.ca - OCZ OCZACSSDBRKT2 Solid State Drive 3.5" Adaptor Bracket 2

Newegg.ca - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

sub-total is $882.

optical, ssd and OS i borrowed from Puddle's build, and although i did have to cut back on some stuff, as far as gaming goes, this would perform pretty similarly while saving you some money.

Most games dont utilize more than 3 cores tops besides some of the most modern ones like Metro 2033 for instance. The absolute best bang for your buck CPU would be an i3. I was running an i3 at 4.4ghz on air with a 5770 and could absolutely demolish any game with that setup besides Metro 2033 at max.

I built this with an i5 for 1100. You can drop the price by about 70 bucks if you add in an i3 instead (they have HT btw)
If you cheaped out in other components you could make it less than 1000. Like 30 dollar case, cheaper PSU, 32gb SSD ect.

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/5053/rigp.jpg

^ you made your build on U.S. newegg, hes from canada so you would need to do it on newegg.ca.

also, you listed the ssd twice, unless you meant to put two. and you'd also need to include an OS.

Drop the SSD completely and use an F3 or Western Digital Black hard drive. That should put you in budget with Puddle Jumper's build. When you have a bit more extra cash, spring for an SSD.

hey guys, i'm sorry i asked for help and advice and then just blew it off and didn't end up buying the comp. i had a family member go into the hospital, and yea i've been to busy to get around to ordering the parts.

but now i'm just wondering if theres any new parts on the market/ any changes you guys would make to the builds above, budget is still the same.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom