Looking for Input

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenJames

Solid State Member
Hey y'all, and Merry Christmas!

I've finally decided to cave and replace my existing rig, but also decided I'd like to try my hand at building my own. I have some knowledge, but not alot, so I'm hoping I can get some community input on the components I've already chosen (nothing is set in stone, yea?).

This is, chiefly, a gaming pc. I don't have any immediate plans to take on any really -really- high end games/settings (mostly MMO, but a few others), but I'd like the option with minimal work in the future.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, since it's unlikely that I'd spot certain kinds of conflicts or deficiencies head-on. This is what I've elected to go with so far:

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full
Newegg.ca - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

ASUS Maximus III Formula LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
Newegg.ca - ASUS Maximus III Formula LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Newegg.ca - XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power
Newegg.ca - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I5750
Newegg.ca - Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Newegg.ca - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model AD-7240S-0B - OEM
Newegg.ca - Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD/CD Rewritable Drive - CD / DVD Burners

Running Vista Home Premium 64-bit (know it, comfortable with it, comes combo'd with mobo). I haven't quite decided which RAM to pick up, but I've had good experience with Kingston HyperX.

All input I'll treat as useful. The more the merrier, and the sooner the better - a few of these things are discounted for Boxing Day.

Cheers all.

merry xmas to you too :)

howcome you decided on that mobo? i think that mobo is a bit over the top and IMO more than youd really need.

a mobo like this one should be able to suit your needs well enough
Newegg.ca - ASUS P7P55D PRO LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

if youre starting this build from scratch with no OS yet, I (as would probably many other people) would recommend windows 7 over vista, you really wouldnt regret it, but this up to you ofcourse.
Newegg.ca - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - Operating Systems

psu is a good choice but you could go with something a little cheaper if you want to reduce some costs.

like the psu in this combo with that gfx card.
Newegg.ca - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
that would handle your rig, even if in the future you decide to use dual gfx cards.

as for the ram, this would be a good kit.
Newegg.ca - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM - Desktop Memory

everything else looks good.

Thanks for the quick reply MM.

I'll admit that when I picked the mobo, I recognized it was a bit high-end compared to the whole, but my aim was to have the mobo in the new rig be the last component considered for future replacement.

I reviewed a few, including the one you linked to, and the Max3 seemed to have better reviews and reliability on the whole. I don't really mind spending the extra money on it, so that isn't a prime consideration. Ultimately, it seemed like my best bet for both performance and future upgrade compatibility (good chance I'll aim to go Crossfire at some point in the next year).

The PSU was recommended by a knowledgeable friend and, after some review, it seemed like a pretty good cost/performance equation. The OS, like I mentioned before, is just something I'm comfortable with and it's a bit cheaper in combo. I'm pretty "muh" about windows as it is, and I've yet to read anything about W7 that makes my mouth water.

Nice pick on the RAM...I've been a Kingston guy for a while, but recent input keeps coming back to the Ripjaws. I do have a couple of Kingston sticks I'll use in the interim, but it looks like I'll be headed G.Skill way in the not too distant future.

Any obvious short-comings or performance pitfalls in the list I've laid out? That's my larger concern - what am I not seeing?

Stealth edit:

One question I forgot to ask is "Will this configuration need or warrant additional 3P cooling?". I'm not inclined to think so, given the case capabilities, but it never hurts to ask a better-informed group.

nope. there doesnt look to be any incompatibilities in your original list, i was just making some suggestions.

i would imagine that the max iii mobo would have some good reviews, since i guess its supposed to be one of asus' flagships, but both that mobo and the one i linked have pretty much have the same future upgrade options.

both support 1156 i5's and i7's, both support 16gigs of ram (even though thatd be overkill), both support both xfire and sli.

max iii has a few more usb and sata ports though.

anyway, ultimately this is up to you, go with whichever one you like more/feel more comfortable with :)

and for a cooler; if youre not planning on OCing, the stock hsf that comes with the cpu will work. if you will be OCing, an aftermarket cooler is recommended.

nope. there doesnt look to be any incompatibilities in your original list, i was just making some suggestions.

i would imagine that the max iii mobo would have some good reviews, since i guess its supposed to be one of asus' flagships, but both that mobo and the one i linked have pretty much have the same future upgrade options.

both support 1156 i5's and i7's, both support 16gigs of ram (even though thatd be overkill), both support both xfire and sli.

max iii has a few more usb and sata ports though.

anyway, ultimately this is up to you, go with whichever one you like more/feel more comfortable with :)

and for a cooler; if youre not planning on OCing, the stock hsf that comes with the cpu will work. if you will be OCing, an aftermarket cooler is recommended.

No OC intentions yet (insufficient technical acumen to make it worth while) but I am a USB monster. Monster.

I decided to cut a few bucks and try Corsair RAM. Same specs.

+1 support for the Asus P755D Pro
both boards have same amount of USB in the back, 8 and front of your case supports 4 more for total of 12

IMHO, the ASUS Maximus III Formula is more of an enthusiast's board
for when you are going for sub-zero overclocking world records.... (even then the EVGA might still out perform it
laugher.gif
)

+1 support for Windows 7
it's basically same as Vista, but IMHO it just runs efficiently
you have picked out a DX11 card, might as well get windows 7 for DX11
if you absolutely want to stay with Vista, might as well go for the HD 4890
which is faster than the HD 5770

you can save a little money...... actually a lot in this case around 33% savings
if you choose the corsair 650 TX power supply instead of the 750TX

even with 2 HD 5770s
you rig will draw about 400W of power (around 300W for single video card) << PEAK power consumption
650TX provides 650W
that's still 250W of headroom, which is.... plenty

Revised - Yay or Nay?
==========

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5

Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model AD-7240S-0B

CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

ASUS P7P55D PRO LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders

OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V (Really decent price bundled with GFX - about 90 bucks off total)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom