Looking for Ideas?

Spud1200

Fully Optimized
I had the opportunity to buy a second hand tower system, so I snapped it for just just a few quid. I spend £20 on it and that was just the tower were I I had the Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse Bundle and all the wires leads ect my self. So my question is.

What can I do with it as in has any one got any ideas how I could get the best out the system.

Its not state of the art but for £20 its housing a 3.2Ghz AMD Athlon, 1GB DDR2 and a 160gb HDD, with a DLT Drive being Quantum with two Tapes of being 360GB, a DVD\RW Front USB on board DVI. 450W PSU with a PCIe Slot x16 and two PCI Slots.

I've got HDD hear I could put in but unsure if they will take as I've never looked in the system to see if their is any spare SATA Power Cables.

I'm not sure if I was to use the system to back up what I would exactly back up, as I do most things online and don't really have a great deal on the one external drive I have plugged in to the tower I'm using everyday. I've also got my Hanns-G 19" connected Via. VGA.

The tape drive is interesting but unsure how to get it running on Mint 32Bit Cinnamon.

I could use it for the SETI or mabie F@H DC but want to get more out of it than just sitting their crunching DATA, and mabie interact with it. I've put Mint 32 Bit on as it was free, and their was no XP, or any Win Genuine Product Key to go with it.

Pretty nippy little tower but just unsure how to get the best out of it. Not bad for £20 .

To be honest, I wouldn't have spent money on that unless it was a dual core or better. Unless you have software to write to the tape drives they are pretty useless.

Being honest PP can you think of a use for it! I know its a Dumb question but I have it connected to the Switch and thus the Internet. I have Mint 32Bit Cinnamon on it, and I was going to Fold if possible with such an older Configuration but then again I have a Machine Folding running a Duel Core and Two PC's running SETI@Home.

It just seemed a wast when the PC was in working order to have it crunching 24\7 with little interactivity.

If it wasn't a juice puller I'd say make it a router or hardware firewall or something. Idk man, not much you can do with something that old anymore. Old game box maybe?

well, this is not exactly something "to do" with it. but it is always a good idea to have a "back up " computer for the time when your main computer decides to have a component die. and leaves you stranded. i have one that basically just sits in the closet for the time when something happens to my computer. be it a virus, or dead component. so i can still get on line, and do my normal activities.

Back
Top Bottom