Looking to get a cheap/sm-powerful AMD mobo+CPU combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidJC

Baseband Member
Just looking for a deal for my brothers computer. Right now he has a x2 6000 AMD. I would like to get him to semi modern power in the CPU department. I figure I will need a new mobo. He has a 8800 GTS (G92). So I am looking for something reasonable, not too pricey.

If anyone knows of a good deal it would be great Thanks.

Well if he has that CPU then its very likely he wont need a new motherboard. But to be 100% you will need to find the make and model of the board out.

At any rate, this would be a good CPU assuming its what you meant by budget:
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor - Processors - Desktops

If you think thats a good deal and it turns out you dont need a new motherboard then maybe you can go for a new video card as well. Eg this:
Newegg.com - POWERCOLOR AX4850 512MD3-PH Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

And if you do need a new motherboard:
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA785G-UD3H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Ok well the board I havein his computer should handle that CPU. It wil need a bios upgrade I think. I was the MSI deluxe something or other board. I can't remember exactly.

The mobo is the M2N-SLI Deluxe for AMD. I think this will work fine with that CPU you recommended. I have to put in a new PSU anyways, so I decided why not get a new CPU too.

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support-
The M2N-SLI Deluxe doesn't officially support Phenom II's, however people have been able to get Phenom II 940's running in them.
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor - Processors - Desktops

Anyway, if you do decide to get a new motherboard anyway, and you intend to overclock, I'd suggest this:
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
I'm very happy with the way it performs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom