Looking for cheapest build to suffice - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Old 06-09-2013, 12:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Looking for cheapest build to suffice

My sister graduates (high school) tomorrow and is going to college in the fall. She doesn't have a computer and likes to do some gaming. I don't do an ounce of gaming anymore, so I've decided to give her my computer (built last year) as a graduation gift.

That means I have to build a new computer. I don't need anything close to fancy. Here is what I need it for: internet, youtube videos (handle the HD resolutions), itunes, skype, watch tv shows/movies on VLC player, Microsoft Office suite and burn the occasional dvd on DVD flick. All this on a 23" full hdmi monitor (1920x1080 resolution)

CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Pentium G2020 Ivy Bridge 2.9GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80637G2020
MB: BIOSTAR H61MGC LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com
RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ - Newegg.com
PSU: CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com
HDD: Western Digital WD Blue WD2500AAKX 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Newegg.com
Case: Antec NEW SOLUTION SERIES VSK-4000 Black SGCC steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com
DVD:: ASUS Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk Black - Newegg.com

Comes out to $315.xx. I will use the onboard graphics on the CPU. I have windows, monitor, etc. I was considering this PSU: COOLER MASTER Elite 460 RS-460-PSAR-I3 460W ATX12V V2.31 Power Supply - Newegg.com . Saves me $25AR, but I know how important it is to go with a quality PSU.

How does it look? What to change?

Ksingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru
Default Re: Looking for cheapest build to suffice

Looks good to me. Only thing I would change is the board to an ASRock B75 for better support.

"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire Mechwarrior Online = Thunderson PSN = PP_Mguire

Need Descent and Mechwarrior buddies!
If I helped you, give a thanks! ↓
Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Re: Looking for cheapest build to suffice

Sweet, I'll look into it, thanks.
Ksingler is offline   Reply With Quote