Looking to buy a new computer for gaming/schoolwork. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breaux

Beta member
My current computer is playing about 1-3 fps of Star Wars the Old Republic, the game that I really want to play, and my computer is fairly old, too, so I am considering buying a new computer that has good graphics for gaming and is still a good computer to do text documents and powerpoints on. Any suggestions on models or brands that I should look at?

I will have roughly $1000 to spend, and I live in the US. I would also like for it to be a laptop that doesn't weigh too much.

From someone who used to by Dells,try to build your own. My desktop was very easy to build,but have never built a laptop.

I seem to see a lot of reviews and threads about Alienware laptops. Some say they are worth it, and others say they are terrible. Any opinions?

Alienware are a waste of money, end of story. The ONLY one worth getting is the M11X. But I don't think you'd want a 11" screen...

Dell has some insane deals right now. This xps is almost $700 off and fits your $1000 budget very well.

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

Quad core, gt 540m, blu ray player, bluetooth, inbuilt 3g modem (SO CONVENIENT), 750gb hdd, 8gb ram. 15.6" screen,
For $1000 that is pretty hard to fault. AND IT'S A 7200rpm hdd!!!

Yeah, I like that haha :)

I own a alienware aurora and owned a M17 laptop for 28 days. The aurora was a a exchange because the MB went out in the XPS 710 I purchased (very cheap MB). The Aurora had problems out of the box. It was covered in red dirt, greasy finger prints all over it and the power switch didn't work. Tech support sent a repair guy to fix the switch,but soon found out the switch was a one peace assembly that included the entire front bezel. The repair guy broke the first one because of the cheap quality.

The laptop was a gift for my son. It had problem right out of the box. It overheats and the monitor hinge broke just a few days after receiving it. In a total of 28 days I had the laptops repaired or replaced 4 times. 2 new laptops and 2 repairs. On the 28th day (last day to return it) I told Dell I wanted a full refund and return the laptop.

This was at a time when Dell had pretty good tech support,nothing like that today.

Visit the Dell forums where I moderated for 2 years and sse if these problems were resolved.

There are 2 things to consider when buying a Dell computer. There proprietary and under-clocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom