Looking to buy a new computer for gaming/schoolwork. Any suggestions? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Looking to buy a new computer for gaming/schoolwork. Any suggestions?

My current computer is playing about 1-3 fps of Star Wars the Old Republic, the game that I really want to play, and my computer is fairly old, too, so I am considering buying a new computer that has good graphics for gaming and is still a good computer to do text documents and powerpoints on. Any suggestions on models or brands that I should look at?

Old 01-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Re: Looking to buy a new computer for gaming/schoolwork. Any suggestions?

Are you comfortable building your own computer?
The animated guide to Building a PC. Learn to build a PC from scratch with PCitYourself!
Pcityourself.com is a good website to learn how to build a computer.
More importantly, what is your budget?
What is the maximum you are willing to spend and your country?

Old 01-22-2012, 05:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Looking to buy a new computer for gaming/schoolwork. Any suggestions?

I will have roughly $1000 to spend, and I live in the US. I would also like for it to be a laptop that doesn't weigh too much.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

From someone who used to by Dells,try to build your own. My desktop was very easy to build,but have never built a laptop.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

If you must have a laptop and are not willing to build a desktop
This laptop is the best I have found for $1000
iBUYPOWER Computer :: Battalion 101 W170HR Gaming Laptop

For $250 more this one gives you a lot more power in terms of video processing.
Xplorer X6-9400 Gaming Notebook
Old 01-22-2012, 09:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I seem to see a lot of reviews and threads about Alienware laptops. Some say they are worth it, and others say they are terrible. Any opinions?
Old 01-22-2012, 10:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaux View Post
I seem to see a lot of reviews and threads about Alienware laptops. Some say they are worth it, and others say they are terrible. Any opinions?
I would stay clear of Alienware. Like I said I "WAS" a Dell customer.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

Alienware are a waste of money, end of story. The ONLY one worth getting is the M11X. But I don't think you'd want a 11" screen...
Old 01-23-2012, 06:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Dell has some insane deals right now. This xps is almost $700 off and fits your $1000 budget very well.

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

Quad core, gt 540m, blu ray player, bluetooth, inbuilt 3g modem (SO CONVENIENT), 750gb hdd, 8gb ram. 15.6" screen,
For $1000 that is pretty hard to fault. AND IT'S A 7200rpm hdd!!!

Yeah, I like that haha
Old 01-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I own a alienware aurora and owned a M17 laptop for 28 days. The aurora was a a exchange because the MB went out in the XPS 710 I purchased (very cheap MB). The Aurora had problems out of the box. It was covered in red dirt, greasy finger prints all over it and the power switch didn't work. Tech support sent a repair guy to fix the switch,but soon found out the switch was a one peace assembly that included the entire front bezel. The repair guy broke the first one because of the cheap quality.

The laptop was a gift for my son. It had problem right out of the box. It overheats and the monitor hinge broke just a few days after receiving it. In a total of 28 days I had the laptops repaired or replaced 4 times. 2 new laptops and 2 repairs. On the 28th day (last day to return it) I told Dell I wanted a full refund and return the laptop.

This was at a time when Dell had pretty good tech support,nothing like that today.

Visit the Dell forums where I moderated for 2 years and sse if these problems were resolved.

There are 2 things to consider when buying a Dell computer. There proprietary and under-clocked.

Closed Thread