Looking to build son a budget gaming computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarantism

Beta member
So for his birthday my son wants a new computer that will allow him to play the newest expansion of World of Warcraft at pretty good settings. After talking to some friends they said buying the parts online and allowing one of them to build it for us would be cheaper than buying one of the computers from the well known companies. I have little to no computer knowledge and just followed a guide online that tried to lay out what was needed for this upcoming version of the game. I know that when building computers you have to keep in mind the compatibility of the parts you are buying so I'd like some feedback on the choices I've made. We're not looking for the best possible computer to run the game, just something that will allow him to play it smoothly. I'd appreciate the input you all may have.

computerlist.png

Links for the parts:

Graphic Card: Newegg.com - ASUS ENGTS250/DI/512MD3/WW GeForce GTS 250 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Power Supply: Newegg.com - Antec EarthWatts Green EA-430D Green 430W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Case: Newegg.com - Rosewill DESTROYER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ,comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 120mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan,1x Top 120mm Fan,1x Bottom Fan

Motherboard: Newegg.com - BIOSTAR A880G+ AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Processor: Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Desktop Processor - C3 Revision HDZ555WFGMBOX

Memory: Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-4GBPK

Hard Drive: Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3320418AS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

The main question I had was regarding the power supply, I don't know if I understood the guide correctly but it was indicating that I needed "at least two SATA connectors, two Molex (4-pin) connecters, one PCI-E (6-pin) connector, one 24-pin (or 20+4-pin) main connector, and most importantly, an 8-pin (or 4+4-pin) 12v EPS connector"

So if I could get some feedback on if these parts are compatible with each other and will allow for smooth game play, I would appreciate it. Thank You.

Your picture is broken, however it may be my college blocking images.
What is your budget? Do you already have an Operating System (OS)?

I suppose the question I'm asking is just if what I chose already would work. I'm not really trying to spend more, I'm not looking to run the game at the fastest settings possible, just have it go smoothly. The parts Trotter provided me with end up being like 300 dollars more than the one I posted, and while they may be better options, If the parts I chose would still allow the game to be played and end up being the cheaper price, I'd rather go with them. I also have certain parts that we plan to reuse from his older computer, like a DVDRW and the copy of the OS (Windows XP).

I figured posting the min and recommended system requirements for the game might help with the assessment.

MIN:
Windows XP 32bit (SP3), Windows XP 64bit (SP2), Windows Vista 32bit (SP1), Windows Vista 64bit (SP1):

* Intel Pentium 4 1.3 GHz or AMD Athlon XP 1500
* 1GB or more of RAM
* NVIDIA® GeForce® FX or ATI Radeon™ 9500 video card or better
* DirectX-compatible sound card or motherboard sound capability
* 25 GB free hard drive space
* A keyboard and mouse are required. Input devices other than a mouse and keyboard are not supported
* You must have an active broadband Internet connection to play

Recom:
Windows XP 32bit (SP3), Windows XP 64bit (SP2), Windows Vista 32bit (SP1), Windows Vista 64bit (SP1) Windows 7:

* Dual-core processor, such as the Intel Pentium D or AMD Athlon 64 X2
* 2 GB RAM (2 GB for Vista users)
* 3D graphics processor with Vertex and Pixel Shader capability with 256 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600 or ATI Radeon™
* 2600 or better DirectX-compatible sound card or motherboard sound capability
* Broadband Internet connection
* Multi-button mouse with scroll wheel recommended

I'm hoping the parts I picked out can get me something in between.

Yeah, go with Trotter's deal - buy it before it goes away, too. It has the compatible parts and you'll save a ton of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom