looking to build my own

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvntPsyChE

Beta member
So my current computer's graphics card just went out... and im currently looking into a new card.

But it has been a while since i have had a significant upgrade in technology and i decided its about time that i built (for the first time) my own computer. Im heavily into gaming, graphics, and music editing and i would like to salvage the working parts on my computer...

The hard drive i have in it is brand new and is 126gigs. I currently have 2 gigs of ram aswell and the sound card is a creative audigy which has yet to give me any problems.

I guess what im asking for is guidance and advice - i tried browsing through the recommended parts list but its pretty much all foreign me.

Id put a price tag at about 700 or 800 bucks assuming that i dont need a sound card hard drive or ram\

(also - how can i check the power supply to the current computer i have? i wanna quickly buy a new vid card for my current computer but i wanna make sure the power supply can handle it... the original card that came in it was a radeon 9800 so id assume it wouldnt be that big of an issue)

The only way to tell you're power supply is looking at it in the case I believe. Figure out how many watts it is, yes amps and volts are more important, but if it has high watts chances are the rest is good too.

SLI-ready motherboard, 6 USB ports, PCI-E 2.0. good board. 149.99 after rebate.
EVGA nForce 750i SLI FTW Motherboard - NVIDIA nForce 750i, 45nm Support, Socket 775, ATX, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Ready, Gigabit LAN, SPDIF, USB 2.0, Firewire, Serial ATA, RAID 123-YW-E175-A1 at TigerDirect.com

169 fast core 2 duo intel processor
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

High end graphics card- gtx 260 279.99. 239.99 after rebate.
Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1260-AR GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

That comes to about 600 bucks with tax and such.

What is your ram though, are you sure it's enough? And do you need a powersupply?
If you don't need those, you could upgrade to a quad core processor or even a gtx280 instead.

-I'm a fan of Quad-Cores, and taking into account your long upgrade cycle I would say get a Q6600:
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

-In terms of motherboard, I assume you won't use SLi so get an Intel Board, Vern's recomending an excellent board by all accounts (although its very ugly :) )
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TPower I45 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

-The HD4870 should be plenty good for a few years:
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100247L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
You could also get the GTX 260 for slightly less as suggested by Thresh

-Then choose your case and optical drive as you want or use your old ones

Alternatively, why not blow your budget on a 4870 x2! :)
(On second thoughts, scrap that idea)

4870x2 is almost maxing out his budget, so lol that's not a good idea :D

Q6700
PSQ Pro
Corsair 550
Case of your choice (nxzt tempest, antec 900) or whatever you want

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom