looking to build a 'micro PC' (microATX)... been gone for a year, need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.McNinja

Beta member
i had originally planned on doing this last summer. i've been overseas since then and just got back. so i have absolutely no idea what advances/changes have happened in the hardware industry since last august.

back then i was waiting for this lian-li case to become available. i forgot the microatx board i was looking at, but i wanted to mate it with a Core2Duo 3GHz, the newer one at that time which was running on some new process (G0 stepping?) and had lower voltage numbers.

if anyone has suggestions on which microATX mobo with good onboard audio and case to check out (are there better versions of that lian-li around now?), i'd be grateful. also...

CPU: i basically want to run the fastest dual core cpu possible (quad core would be ridiculous for this application, right?), on stock settings/voltage, with either the stock heatsink/fan or something comparable... which is quiet, small, and can be left on for transport/shipping (i'll pull out the drives/cards/PSU before i do this, and maybe put some padding in there). and i need it to be able to run at indoor temperatures of sometimes 30 C or so, though rarely.

video card: i'd like to just get one new card (what are the newer ones out that would best fit this application? i heard nvidia's coming out with a new GPU that runs cooler than the current or previous gen high end cards?)

any additional suggestions are more than welcome. thanks in advance for any help!

the q6600 quad cores are about the same price as the e8400+ dual cores so if i were you id get one. the geforce 9800gtx and the radeon hd 4850 are the two best choices for cards if you want a single card and the best bang for your buck. im pretty sure the hd 4850 is smaller than the 9800gtx and a bit cheaper (gtx is ~$210 and 4850 is ~$195). but if you have another hundred bucks to blow then the hd 4870 runs on gddr5 ram instead of gddr3 like every other card and is supposed to be absolutely amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom