Looking for Advice on My First Build

You don't need the cooler so you can scratch that off. If his PSU is an Apevia or Raidmax or any cheap crap like that I wouldn't bother.

Alright, that works out great because that means I will be able to afford this PC, haha. And it seems to be a great build for the price.

Not necessarily. Anything connected to the PSU can be affected: HDD's, optical drives, fans, GPU, motherboard (and by extension of the motherboard, anything connected to it such as CPU and other add-on cards), etc.

Cool beans X however what your saying doesn't make enough sense ?
Can you grab a list psu damages ranging from minor to severe issues ?

Cool beans X however what your saying doesn't make enough sense ?
Can you grab a list psu damages ranging from minor to severe issues ?

How does it not make sense? Everything is connected to the PS and all of it can get damaged by a PS that either surges without any safety built into it like most cheap power supplies.

How does it not make sense? Everything is connected to the PS and all of it can get damaged by a PS that either surges without any safety built into it like most cheap power supplies.

Sure it can but why I am asking him the amount of damages which can be caused by it.
Like I mentioned before..
If a psu just stops working completely with no sign of physical dameages.
Do you fear the worst ?
Or do you find another psu and pray to Jesus it still works ?
Over the many years I used computers not everything goes if not the mobo will.

The main point with PS's is the cheaply made ones don't have any real protection, Are made with the cheapest parts and the voltages are inconsistent at best, Yes you could get one that works fine but it's like playing Russian rulett but with a quality built PS there is much less chance of that happening and they have better over voltage protection.

It's a gamble best not taken, which is why in my article I said make it the #1 quality component in your PC if you can. Like was said many times, it powers ALL of your components. A low grade unit can and typically will under or overvolt your components even if it seems like it's running 100% fine. Most low grade units are also only rated for peak power, so people think oh I'm getting this 500w PSU it should do fine, but will blow if you even remotely try to pull 500w from it. When a PSU goes it can go quietly as you suggest, or can surge everything in your machine. Quality units also have several protection circuits that prevent such occurrences, or protect against over draw, under volting from the wall (brown outs), or over volt from the wall (surge). Good quality units also have quite a bit of head room and are rated at what they can continuously power, for instance the Seasonic 520w M1211 (S1211) can push 520w worth of machine with a little room to spare. That's not even an expensive power supply. To give a perfect example of this, a friend and I were benching and overclocking our machines and combined our Titans to get 3dmark numbers while maxing our setups. I put 3 Titan X's in my machine with the CPU @ 4.6GHz. My Thermaltake is rated at 1000w but I was pulling 1300w from the wall and it didn't break a sweat. This unit is also from 2008, serving me several years and builds. His AX1200i we put 4 Titan X's on it and tried running Firestrike Ultra. It immediately shut the whole machine off because the protection kicked in protecting it and the machine from damage. Money well spent on both accounts (well in his case anyway).

If a PSU dies for whatever reason, you use another unit you know works fine and simply test out the rest of your components. It's really that simple.

The main point with PS's is the cheaply made ones don't have any real protection, Are made with the cheapest parts and the voltages are inconsistent at best, Yes you could get one that works fine but it's like playing Russian rulett but with a quality built PS there is much less chance of that happening and they have better over voltage protection.

Eh we'll settle on that thanks for your input.

I'll look into his PSU model's reviews and see how good it is. I'm not too worried because he's used it for a while and it still works fine. I trust him, but if it ends up costing the same to just buy a newer one then I will.

Back
Top Bottom