Looking for Advice on My First Build

Not quite with you here.

Why?
Because in any game that isn't a crock of **** running a hard coded "something" on thread 3, the 3258 makes mince meat of any ****ty AMD APU. Seriously, APUs have probably the worst single threaded performance in a modern CPU that I've seen since 2008. It's a waste of money on a ridiculously budget platform. Getting the 3258 not only gives him better performance in games but also gives him a very decent upgrade path to something like an i5.

I've taken your build and removed the 6450 (it's crap, my 330 quid laptops graphics card is better), and I've added a GTX750.

The CPU might come with it's own CPU cooler, so you might be able to save $12 there.

System Build - PCPartPicker
Blank list.

***YOU NEED A DVD DRIVE*** Seriously though, that list didn't have any CD/DVD drive on it... You'll need one, thank me later... I recommend the external Memorex "DVD Writer 8x" (Memorex 8X Slim DVD Multi-format recorder external, it says on the bottom) that is, if you want an external one... It is full USB powered, It includes "Nero 12" DVD, a full disk burning (and stuff) bundle....
It has a blue LED on the front, that indicates disk access...just so ya know...
It also has a "special MINI USB connector, I call it "special", because, if your PC doesn't give enough power to the DVD drive, there is a second USB connector on the same adapter, so you can plug it into ANOTHER USB port... pretty cool, in my opinion...

Last edited:
***YOU NEED A DVD DRIVE*** Seriously though, that list didn't have any CD/DVD drive on it... You'll need one, thank me later... I recommend the external Memorex "DVD Writer 8x" (Memorex 8X Slim DVD Multi-format recorder external, it says on the bottom) that is, if you want an external one... It is full USB powered, It includes "Nero 12", a full disk burning (and stuff) bundle....

Not everybody needs a DVD drive.

I'll look farther into the 3258. I need a CPU that isn't terribly expensive, but can run most modern games at reasonable settings. Like I said, I'm not looking to run at max settings, but I want to be able to play games at Medium settings. I have my eye especially on Battlefront 3 in December...

I have a friend who may be able to sell me a 770W power supply for cheap. So I may be able to splurge a bit more on a graphics card and CPU.

I have a USB disk drive that I own, so I'm not unduly worried about a disk drive being installed on my desktop right now. That'll be a purchase for later.

If Battlefront 3 is like any other Dice game it should run fairly well on the 3258. If you're only aiming for medium settings it'll be fine. It's the GPU that you want to concentrate on.

If Battlefront 3 is like any other Dice game it should run fairly well on the 3258. If you're only aiming for medium settings it'll be fine. It's the GPU that you want to concentrate on.

Here we go, I went with the 3258 and found a CPU cooler for it. Also picked out a better graphics card. The price is higher than I want it, but not by too much. Hopefully my friend can sell me his power supply for cheap and I can knock $30 off. The wattage looks really low (217) so I can't imagine I'll have too much issue with overheating?

I forgot to mention, I already have a monitor. It's pretty cheap, so I'll probably upgrade it sometime, but it'll do the job. I also have a wireless keyboard/mouse.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom