Little Spill..... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 12:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Little Spill.....

Ok i am very unsatisfied with my luck.... i have made a total of 4 HUGE mistakes on building my first comp. I made one huge oweee by downgrading my mobo to AGP, i had PCIx... OO well

Then i have had many let downs when making my comp. I get someting, expect it to make my comp. work fine with all of my old components, put it together... bam doesnt work, now it takes 2 hours to put it back teh way it was... AND I HAVE DONE THIS A TOTAL of 13 times

But now when i get everything i possibly could have gotten

The Problem:
I get everything upgraded (except my cpu) and i put it all together, then i try to boot it up and it goes to the boot screen and freezes... i must have said so many cuss words i prolly had one for every letter of the alphabet

Then i look at my cpu socket (or whatever its called)
It had some thermal paste inbetween the pins..... how the heck do i get taht stuff off.... i cant risk damaging teh pins can i??? But if i dont then i will never be able to use it....

But get this... the day after i figure this out, my RMA expires..... now thats what u call a bad day people...........

Old 04-06-2006, 01:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

try a repair-install of XP, that should stop it from freezing on boot

Old 04-06-2006, 10:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
!!GAMER!!

UMm I cant quite understand the thing about your pins.Can you get us pictures.The pins are delicate but stiff.Umm I dont know about tuching the green part or the pins with any abrasive chemicals.If it is turning on there should be no problem though.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

well i tried getting the stuff out.... but it bent teh pins.. now i cant get them back up..... but i have a friend who has millions of "old" parts he can give me.....
He is sooooo picky about his comp.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Ethereal_Dragon Send a message via Yahoo to Ethereal_Dragon

Fux0red... That sucks man, but it happens to the best of us. At one point or another, MOST builders have trouble assembling a PC... (typically the first or second build..... if trouble after that.... get an OEM system.. lol).

The best thing to do is learn from your mistakes...
It is VERY important to PLAN before you BUY. Make sure a system will be able to function BEFORE purchasing parts... (so that you don't get an AMD CPU and some sticks of DDR2 RAM....)
XFX Radeon HD 4870, SILVERSTONE DA700, Samsung 840 500Gig SSD MZ-7TD500BW, 3x WD20EARS 2 TB Green,
ASUS DRW-2014L1T (DVD), LG WH14NS40 (Blu Ray), Dell 2709W, Sony SDM-HS95P, Windows 10 Pro
The NAS Box: OFFLINE D-Link DNS-323, 0.1RC3 Alt-F firmware, 2x 7200.14 ST3000DM001 3TB EXT4 - NO RAID - 6 TB
Home Server: BUILD LOG!! - Supermicro SC826TQ-R800LPB chassis, X8DTN+, Dual Xeon E5620 (Stock),
4x Nanya NT4GC72B4NA1NL-CG (24GB Reg ECC DDR3), 12x MICRON MT36JSZF51272PZ-1G4G1FG (48GB Reg ECC DDR3), (72GB total memory)
2x OCZ Agility (60GB) (OS & Backup), 6x WD40EFRX (4TB) in RaidZ2 (14.3 TB usable), 2x Q Series HDTS225XZSTA (256GB) ZIL & L2ARC mirrored

Old 04-11-2006, 09:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

normally you would do a fresh install of Windows if you upgrade parts such as your motherboard because windows checks your hardware when installing so there for it will see you have a diffrent motherboard to the last time you booted up properly and freeze up

result...Fresh Install

Old 04-12-2006, 01:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie

so to do a fresh install i need to turn off the computer with the Windows Xp cd in the drive.... and it should reinstall, when i boot it up?
And it would delete all of the hard drives? What if i unconnect a hard drive, then add it back after the install? Would it work then?
Old 04-12-2006, 01:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie

btw:
wats OEM stand for? Whats the differnece?
Old 04-12-2006, 11:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by alexsabree
btw:
wats OEM stand for? Whats the differnece?
OEM = original equipment manufacturer IE Dell,Gateway,HP, Etc.

Parts are tested together and thus "guaranteed" to work together, prebuilts basically.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

so wait a minute, when u see something in a store that is in a bag instead of in a box, is that OEM? cause thats wat i read........or have they been returned or something?

Closed Thread