Little help with setting up a system? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 07:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Unhappy Little help with setting up a system?

Ok, so some of you might know I ripped up a PII and orderd parts for a friend's uber budget gaming rig. They should be here friday-ish, so I had a friend's old mATX sA mobo lying around. Along with two other canablized computers, we ended with the following specs...

'1st Mainboard' (company) k7 AT31 Fusion mobo with integrated 'Radeon IGP 320'

1.4Ghz Duron

256mb DDR400 (board says it supports pc2300and 2700)

DVD drive

CD Burner

Old Seagate 6gb HD (origional PII's HD, contains XP pro)

Old WD 2gb drive from some crappy PI

All shoved in a really crappy old case.

As you can see...

Now, I got all the stuff in and plugged in fine. I got to the BIOS

(those PCI cards were taken out before I did anything just in case anyone's wondering)

So that's all fine and like I said I got it to the BIOS, it had picked up everything (I didn't think it would)

And it comes time to install windows. I borrowed an XP CD from a friend, and he told me that I could just boot from the CD, reformat the HD's and then install a fresh XP.

Well, I tried that and got the following screens...
(also tried just booting from the existing windows on the HD, that gave me some similar errors.)

That's what I got the 1st time, I thought that was fine since I was sopposed to reinstall windows anyway.

I manage to get it to the 'setup' for windows... I think, I've never seen that screen before.

So after that I get a screen like this,

here's some more of it,

Sorry, new camera I didn't know if it would be visible.
There's also one that says about the same things but there's also a paragraph saying there's not enough disk space.

So I'm stumped as to how I can reformat the drives and try installing XP on the 6giger...

The possible problems I've come up with are...

-The memory isn't compatible

-The previous instlation of XP is messing it up

-There's something wrong w/ the integrated graphics, doesn't auto register as an adapter for windows

-I really have no clue....

So I figured I'd do this just so i know how when we get the good parts this weekend... Any suggestions as to why it's happening?

If no one can think of any do you think the same problems would occure with the following parts?

-Biostar G6100 s754 mobo
-Sempron2800(dunno why a proc would be a problem)

I plan on dumping all of that crap out cept for the DVD and CD burner, and the Hard drives... which seem to be a problem.

I'm talking him into buying a new SATA HD but that won't be around any time soon.

So I'm completely lost... maybe it's a problem w/ the HD's, and I could try reformating them in my current computer and then trying to install XP on them... I dunno.
Any help would be awsome.

In The Mail!!!!- Athlon 64 3500 @Stock/Abit K9N SLi sAM2/2GB G.Skill DDR2 800 @Stock /XFX G7900GT XXX 520/1500Mhz/74GB Raptor w/ 16mbcache/300GB 16mbcache SATA HD/NEC DVD-RAM Burner/OCZ ModStream 520watt psu/ThermalTake Armor Jr./Logitech EX110 mouse/keyboard
Old 01-02-2006, 08:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

i got that error before but i just reboot and it went away. if you're installing xp from cd, make sure that the cd-rom is the first boot priority.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83Ghz || 4GB OCZ 1066 DDR2 RAM || GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P Motherboard ||
PNY XLR8 GTX 470 || Raptor 300GB 10,000 RPM HDD RAID0 || Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Old 01-02-2006, 08:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Ya, I've been thru it quite a bit and everything goes right back to that.
Someone told me to use killdisk to wipe all the drives clean before trying to reformat and install, so... I'm trying that now.
Thanks for the suggestion tho, I know all to well how some little things tend to be the source of a major problem.
In The Mail!!!!- Athlon 64 3500 @Stock/Abit K9N SLi sAM2/2GB G.Skill DDR2 800 @Stock /XFX G7900GT XXX 520/1500Mhz/74GB Raptor w/ 16mbcache/300GB 16mbcache SATA HD/NEC DVD-RAM Burner/OCZ ModStream 520watt psu/ThermalTake Armor Jr./Logitech EX110 mouse/keyboard
Old 01-02-2006, 10:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to iam_not_2fast4u

`i got that and it wouldnt go away, turns out my HD was bad.

RIP Flanker: 07-31-2005 - 03-03-2006 09:17 AM
Old 01-02-2006, 10:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Ah... crazy... That's what I thought for a little while... I thought maybe I messed up the drive when I took it out, but thankfull that wasn't the case.

I cleaned off both drives, and the I got a Error code 7 or sumthing. Looked it up and it's a memory error... I guess the mobo doesn't accept DDR400.

I thought DDR400 was a speed, and you could use lower or higher speed ram than the mobo supported. If that's true, is the ram faulty?
Old 01-02-2006, 10:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

killdisk it then start over
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 01-02-2006, 10:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

MM I did... sadly It didn't work, citing ram issues. (look at above post) I'm wondering if I could use memtest to see if it's faulty... I'm still under the impression that DDR400 could be used with a baord that supports DDR333...
Maybe I'm just crazy...
I'll try doing memtest... never used it but it can't be that hard.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to PZEROFGH

Run a mem divider and then try it

Closed Thread