Liquid Cooling or Fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
good points...but if you have a pentium 3 and you're considering OCing there's only 2 explainations. 1.) you are retarded or 2.) you live in a 3rd world country or worse and don't have any money.

it's a good point but just not a logical one. I'm saying that once you're willing to upgrade THEN you should OC and use it for a little while longer so you don't have to shell out extra money before you really need to. especially for something that will be cheaper in 3 months anyways.

basically you could just OC for about 3 months and then upgrade for something for cheaper (like if you were to OC 3 months ago and wait for the AMD price drops...you'd be tolerant of you're computer for a lil while longer and end up saving a lot of money.)

anyone disagree to OCing once you want more power from a system and paying an extra $35 for another 20-30% increase in speed later on (i'm estimating that you'd get that much more w/ liquid over fan cooling. i CAN be off) but seriously that's a good deal for liquid cooling and that's my opinion on what to do. take it or leave it.

Nice job on the double post, but have you ever heard the saying that if sometihng is too good to be true, it probably is...?

For $35 dollars more than air cooling, id hate to see what kind of water cooling loop that is.

And for the record, the cheaper water cooling systems perform just about on par with a decent air cooler.

Anyways, oc'ing raises tempurature, decreases lifespan of components, is harder on the power supply, a/c, and the power bill, and generally speaking isnt really worth the performance boost.

ANd yes, i have oc'd p-3's before 800mhz to 950mhz not too shabby at all 19% oc

ANyways, if you can get a 30% oc thats pretty **** good

Basically overclocking my fx-53 (2.4ghz) to 3.12ghz

If you can do that with my water cooling ill give ya a medal!

i'm talking about OCing a conroe though. big difference. just look around. there's people all over breaking 3Ghz and some even 3.5Ghz on air w/ a stock 1.83Ghz e6300. i'll add in a few links if you want proof. note: my info is based off on forum members and friends who OCed their conroes.

Thats simply one line of processors, you cant say that just because a few people (probably 10 or less) were able to get amazing overclocks that anyone can.

Finally, Conroe isnt cheap to get into. Say for example someone who has an Athlon 64 Socket 754 system. If they wanted to make the switch to Conroe, they would need to buy the new cpu, new motherboard, new ram, and dpending on the case a new graphics card. All these things can really add up. Also you need to take into account that the people getting this amazing overclocks arent using value ram, generally is OCZ Gold/PLatinum and Corsair XMS at DDR2-800 speeds.

But w/e if you want to spend the money go right ahead im not gonna stop ya, i just try and steer ya in the right direction.

Sorry in advance for the long post. :)

jordo_99 said:
i'd buy a fast car if it was for really cheap and i wouldn't have to worry about anything but filling the tank (he/she wouldn't have to worry about anything other than refilling the liquid in the system.)

The car metaphor was to say, "why buy the power if you're not going to fully utilize it?" Not to mention the fact that there's a bit more to WCing that just "refilling the liquid."

atomic tofu said:
A lot of old people buy fast sports cars and drive slow...I don't know what that's all about :D

That's exactly what i'm saying. Why buy something with high potential if you're not going to utilize it?

aspire.comptech said:
Speed limits...

Try the Autobahn

:p Not all of us live in Germany. Europe, even.

RalliArt882 said:
You mean about the overclocking? No I doubt I'll ever OC my future rig for the reasons stated above. I'd feel like the biggest idiot if i just somehow managed to fry something in it, because i have no experience in doing it. I would think about it if i had the chance to OC a piece of junk rig, but I just dont have the resources for that.

The only way you'll really fry anything is if you put too much voltage on the CPU/GPU/RAM, OR you try OCing too much at one time (ie. stock 1GHz and attempting to OC to 3GHz off the bat).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom