Liquid Cooling or Fans? - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-09-2006, 02:54 PM   #21 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru
 
aspire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 5,308
Default

The issue is, that the system is probably a total piece of crap.

And there comes a point where decent air cooling outperforms crappy water cooling
__________________

__________________
If I help you with something, you think I'm the bomb, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the star under my post.

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
aspire is offline  
Old 08-09-2006, 03:20 PM   #22 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 133
Send a message via AIM to werdna35
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by aspire.comptech
Speed limits...

Try the Autobahn
Actually, on the majority of the Autobahn, nowadays, there is a speed limit, albeit a very high one.
__________________

werdna35 is offline  
Old 08-09-2006, 03:31 PM   #23 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 576
Default

Obviously this computer will be for gaming. It will use good hardware like the Conroe E6600 and Nvidia 7900GT and 2GB of RAM. I don't think I'll overclock this pc because:

1. I've never done it before.

2. I would rather not learn how to OC on a $1300+ pc, no matter how easy and risk-free it could be.

So the question is: Would high end games like Oblivion and Half-Life2 cause the temperatures of the system to rise enough where I would need liquid cooling?
__________________
Stacker 830 - e6600 @ 3.6ghz - Eva 9800GTX+
X-Fi Xtrememusic - 4GB OCZ SLI 1066
Sceptre 20.1" - Logitech Z5500 - Gigabyte DS3 965p
RalliArt882 is offline  
Old 08-09-2006, 03:36 PM   #24 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru
 
aspire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 5,308
Default

No, playing those games will not cause your pc enough to warrent using water cooling.

I only say this because a. the water cooling they offer is for the cpu only, and b because the conroe is a low power, thus low heat output chip. This is shown through the fact that it was modeled after intel core duo chips that have been growing in popularity for laptop users.
__________________
If I help you with something, you think I'm the bomb, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the star under my post.

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
aspire is offline  
Old 08-09-2006, 04:11 PM   #25 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 647
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by RalliArt882
Obviously this computer will be for gaming. It will use good hardware like the Conroe E6600 and Nvidia 7900GT and 2GB of RAM. I don't think I'll overclock this pc because:

1. I've never done it before.

2. I would rather not learn how to OC on a $1300+ pc, no matter how easy and risk-free it could be.

So the question is: Would high end games like Oblivion and Half-Life2 cause the temperatures of the system to rise enough where I would need liquid cooling?

10:1 odds that he/she changes their mind wuthin 1 1/2 years. any takers?
__________________
Antec NeoPower 650W
Gigabyte EP45-DS3R
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (w/ Arctic Freezer 7)
4GB DDR2-1000 G.Skill
Sapphire x1950 Pro 512mb (w/ V700)
250GB, 500GB and 1.5TB Seagate Barracudas (2.25TB total)
Fatal1ty XtremeGamer sound card *** generic TV tuner
Xclio 3060 case *** HannsG 22" monitor
XP Pro / Ubuntu 7.10 *** Razer Copperhead and Tarantula
jordo_99 is offline  
Old 08-09-2006, 11:55 PM   #26 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 576
Default

You mean about the overclocking? No I doubt I'll ever OC my future rig for the reasons stated above. I'd feel like the biggest idiot if i just somehow managed to fry something in it, because i have no experience in doing it. I would think about it if i had the chance to OC a piece of junk rig, but I just dont have the resources for that.

Lets say you want to buy a stick shift car. But you don't know how to drive a stick. If you asked your friend to teach you how to drive a stick on his Ferrari with a $10,000 clutch, you think he would say yes? Nope, you would have better chances asking someone else with an old Volvo.

I'm in the same scenario. I dont have access to a piece of junk rig to OC, and not care about it if i break it. And i won't ever OC a $1,300 until i learn somewhere else on something else.
__________________
Stacker 830 - e6600 @ 3.6ghz - Eva 9800GTX+
X-Fi Xtrememusic - 4GB OCZ SLI 1066
Sceptre 20.1" - Logitech Z5500 - Gigabyte DS3 965p
RalliArt882 is offline  
Old 08-10-2006, 12:40 AM   #27 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 647
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by RalliArt882
You mean about the overclocking? No I doubt I'll ever OC my future rig for the reasons stated above. I'd feel like the biggest idiot if i just somehow managed to fry something in it, because i have no experience in doing it. I would think about it if i had the chance to OC a piece of junk rig, but I just dont have the resources for that.

Lets say you want to buy a stick shift car. But you don't know how to drive a stick. If you asked your friend to teach you how to drive a stick on his Ferrari with a $10,000 clutch, you think he would say yes? Nope, you would have better chances asking someone else with an old Volvo.

I'm in the same scenario. I dont have access to a piece of junk rig to OC, and not care about it if i break it. And i won't ever OC a $1,300 until i learn somewhere else on something else.
first of all i'm saying that you should OC it when your willing to upgrade to a new computer (this one becomes the junker you'd practice w/ and if you were to do that then you'd get a 70% or better improvement.

second of all...the car i drive now. it's a stick. and when i bought it i didn't know how to drive one. it's not that hard to learn. if you're careful and paying attention when doing about anything it's hard to mess it up.

if you only OC'ed a little bit at a time then you'd have no worries cuz it's really hard to fry stuff anyways cuz if you get to that point you're PSU, if you've got a good one, turns itself off before dammage is done.

^that's what i was talking about for you to OC it earlier. i'd expect you'd be willing to OC it by the time you're willing to upgrade and if you OC'ed it at that point then you probably wouldn't need to upgrade afterall. THATS what i'm trying to tell you.
__________________
Antec NeoPower 650W
Gigabyte EP45-DS3R
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (w/ Arctic Freezer 7)
4GB DDR2-1000 G.Skill
Sapphire x1950 Pro 512mb (w/ V700)
250GB, 500GB and 1.5TB Seagate Barracudas (2.25TB total)
Fatal1ty XtremeGamer sound card *** generic TV tuner
Xclio 3060 case *** HannsG 22" monitor
XP Pro / Ubuntu 7.10 *** Razer Copperhead and Tarantula
jordo_99 is offline  
Old 08-10-2006, 01:01 AM   #28 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 190
Send a message via AIM to the yellow one
Default

my first experience with computers is like look internet games, then later on, look computer games then i built my rig from scratch, then i overclocked, and now i've been thinking about modding my rig. i guess you want to do more think more about you own rig once you get kinda bored with your existing one.
__________________
I am the yellow one.
the yellow one is offline  
Old 08-10-2006, 01:16 AM   #29 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 647
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by the yellow one
my first experience with computers is like look internet games, then later on, look computer games then i built my rig from scratch, then i overclocked, and now i've been thinking about modding my rig. i guess you want to do more think more about you own rig once you get kinda bored with your existing one.
yeah that's EXACTLY how i am and that's why i think once somebody is willing to build a computer that they'll eventually OC it. well it's pretty much pointless to upgrade to a new computer w/o OCing it because then you're just spending more money that you don't need to.
__________________
Antec NeoPower 650W
Gigabyte EP45-DS3R
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (w/ Arctic Freezer 7)
4GB DDR2-1000 G.Skill
Sapphire x1950 Pro 512mb (w/ V700)
250GB, 500GB and 1.5TB Seagate Barracudas (2.25TB total)
Fatal1ty XtremeGamer sound card *** generic TV tuner
Xclio 3060 case *** HannsG 22" monitor
XP Pro / Ubuntu 7.10 *** Razer Copperhead and Tarantula
jordo_99 is offline  
Old 08-10-2006, 01:24 AM   #30 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru
 
aspire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 5,308
Default

Thats horrendously not true.

Say you have a P-3 and buy a P-4, is it a waste of money of you dont oc it?

Also on the flipside, when you overclock and raise the cpu core voltage, you wind up creating more heat, raising cooling bills, and also increasing electrical consumption, which can amount to total more than 2 thousand dollars over the life of a gaming computer that is on most of the time.

The only time i generally oc is when im benching, any other time and I really dont need it.

So again, please think about what you say before saying it...
__________________

__________________
If I help you with something, you think I'm the bomb, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the star under my post.

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
aspire is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.