Liquid Cooling or Fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The issue is, that the system is probably a total piece of crap.

And there comes a point where decent air cooling outperforms crappy water cooling

Obviously this computer will be for gaming. It will use good hardware like the Conroe E6600 and Nvidia 7900GT and 2GB of RAM. I don't think I'll overclock this pc because:

1. I've never done it before.

2. I would rather not learn how to OC on a $1300+ pc, no matter how easy and risk-free it could be.

So the question is: Would high end games like Oblivion and Half-Life2 cause the temperatures of the system to rise enough where I would need liquid cooling?

No, playing those games will not cause your pc enough to warrent using water cooling.

I only say this because a. the water cooling they offer is for the cpu only, and b because the conroe is a low power, thus low heat output chip. This is shown through the fact that it was modeled after intel core duo chips that have been growing in popularity for laptop users.

RalliArt882 said:
Obviously this computer will be for gaming. It will use good hardware like the Conroe E6600 and Nvidia 7900GT and 2GB of RAM. I don't think I'll overclock this pc because:

1. I've never done it before.

2. I would rather not learn how to OC on a $1300+ pc, no matter how easy and risk-free it could be.

So the question is: Would high end games like Oblivion and Half-Life2 cause the temperatures of the system to rise enough where I would need liquid cooling?

10:1 odds that he/she changes their mind wuthin 1 1/2 years. any takers?

You mean about the overclocking? No I doubt I'll ever OC my future rig for the reasons stated above. I'd feel like the biggest idiot if i just somehow managed to fry something in it, because i have no experience in doing it. I would think about it if i had the chance to OC a piece of junk rig, but I just dont have the resources for that.

Lets say you want to buy a stick shift car. But you don't know how to drive a stick. If you asked your friend to teach you how to drive a stick on his Ferrari with a $10,000 clutch, you think he would say yes? Nope, you would have better chances asking someone else with an old Volvo.

I'm in the same scenario. I dont have access to a piece of junk rig to OC, and not care about it if i break it. And i won't ever OC a $1,300 until i learn somewhere else on something else.

RalliArt882 said:
You mean about the overclocking? No I doubt I'll ever OC my future rig for the reasons stated above. I'd feel like the biggest idiot if i just somehow managed to fry something in it, because i have no experience in doing it. I would think about it if i had the chance to OC a piece of junk rig, but I just dont have the resources for that.

Lets say you want to buy a stick shift car. But you don't know how to drive a stick. If you asked your friend to teach you how to drive a stick on his Ferrari with a $10,000 clutch, you think he would say yes? Nope, you would have better chances asking someone else with an old Volvo.

I'm in the same scenario. I dont have access to a piece of junk rig to OC, and not care about it if i break it. And i won't ever OC a $1,300 until i learn somewhere else on something else.

first of all i'm saying that you should OC it when your willing to upgrade to a new computer (this one becomes the junker you'd practice w/ and if you were to do that then you'd get a 70% or better improvement.

second of all...the car i drive now. it's a stick. and when i bought it i didn't know how to drive one. it's not that hard to learn. if you're careful and paying attention when doing about anything it's hard to mess it up.

if you only OC'ed a little bit at a time then you'd have no worries cuz it's really hard to fry stuff anyways cuz if you get to that point you're PSU, if you've got a good one, turns itself off before dammage is done.

^that's what i was talking about for you to OC it earlier. i'd expect you'd be willing to OC it by the time you're willing to upgrade and if you OC'ed it at that point then you probably wouldn't need to upgrade afterall. THATS what i'm trying to tell you.

my first experience with computers is like look internet games, then later on, look computer games then i built my rig from scratch, then i overclocked, and now i've been thinking about modding my rig. i guess you want to do more think more about you own rig once you get kinda bored with your existing one.

the yellow one said:
my first experience with computers is like look internet games, then later on, look computer games then i built my rig from scratch, then i overclocked, and now i've been thinking about modding my rig. i guess you want to do more think more about you own rig once you get kinda bored with your existing one.

yeah that's EXACTLY how i am and that's why i think once somebody is willing to build a computer that they'll eventually OC it. well it's pretty much pointless to upgrade to a new computer w/o OCing it because then you're just spending more money that you don't need to.

Thats horrendously not true.

Say you have a P-3 and buy a P-4, is it a waste of money of you dont oc it?

Also on the flipside, when you overclock and raise the cpu core voltage, you wind up creating more heat, raising cooling bills, and also increasing electrical consumption, which can amount to total more than 2 thousand dollars over the life of a gaming computer that is on most of the time.

The only time i generally oc is when im benching, any other time and I really dont need it.

So again, please think about what you say before saying it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom