Liquid cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

odysseus

In Runtime
Would this (http://www.directron.com/r120.html) be worth adding on to a system for $59 at cyberpowerpc.com (http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/cfga64x2.asp?v=d)? Also would i have to change the water once in awhile? I;m not too sure about the whole liquid cooling idea, all i know is that water conducts heat a **** of a lot better than air, and that it cools water and passes it over to a unit similar to a heatsink, then it also has an exaust pipe. Wouldn't this cause the water to evaporate really fast?

Help

Oh, how (what is it also-besides driving ur CPU past the "redline") do you overclock?

What do you need water cooling for? Are you going to be doing some serious overclocking? I dont know about that water cooling kit but ive read that some of the kits that companies sell with their computers arent really worth the price.

while im still getting my feet wet in the high end computer field, i'm a mechanical engineer and specialize in heat transfer. i was impressed by the symphony by thermaltake. it's one of the few liquid cooling systems on the market with dual pumps. (the last thing you want is a pump to fail when you only have one!)

i really dont understand why someone would build a liquid cooling system with a fan inside of your case, one reason for liquid cooling (besides way better heat transfer) is to reduce noise levels.
I symphony relies on natural convection on the non-liquid side of their external heat exchanger (no fans) so the only noise it makes is the pump vibrations, which is minimal. Its going to cost you between 200 and 300, but it will be worth it for silent super cooling! go to www.thermaltake.com for some really cool liquid cooling solutions.

For the product you are looking at, the exaust is simply the outlet from the heat sink. it is a closed loop, so the water wont be going anywhere except thru the fan area and back across the heatsink. this type of water cooling does not cause the water to evaporate at all, it will stay in the liquid form. evaporative liquid cooling is conducted at low pressures. liquids evaporate at lower temperatures at low pressure, but the latent energy of vaporation is higher (in laymens terms, it will evaporate at low temps, but suck more heat from the chip in the process). the vapor then moves (using natural boyancy, i.e. hot air rises) to a cooler part of the computer where the heat is dissapated and the vapor becomes a liquid again and is reused. i've seen this type of liquid cooling used on 3d accelorators, but are expensive as a ton of R&D goes into every design. (i think their called heat tubes or something) i got this info from Heat Transfer II class... sorry if some of the terms dont make sense, u'll just have to trust the engineer .:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom