Liquid cooling - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 07:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Question Liquid cooling

Would this (http://www.directron.com/r120.html) be worth adding on to a system for $59 at cyberpowerpc.com (http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/cfga64x2.asp?v=d)? Also would i have to change the water once in awhile? I;m not too sure about the whole liquid cooling idea, all i know is that water conducts heat a **** of a lot better than air, and that it cools water and passes it over to a unit similar to a heatsink, then it also has an exaust pipe. Wouldn't this cause the water to evaporate really fast?

Help

Oh, how (what is it also-besides driving ur CPU past the "redline") do you overclock?

Old 04-25-2006, 07:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

here's the company's website for this particular liquid cooling device (http://www.coolermaster.com/index.ph...0%20%2F%20R120)

Old 04-25-2006, 08:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

no.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

u wanna elaborate on that a bit?
Old 04-25-2006, 08:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

liquid cooling = liquid in the computer.

thats why.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to thebleakness

What do you need water cooling for? Are you going to be doing some serious overclocking? I dont know about that water cooling kit but ive read that some of the kits that companies sell with their computers arent really worth the price.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

if you MUST liquid cool, go with swiftech
Old 04-26-2006, 04:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie

the aquagates have issues once the temps start to rise. because the pump and reservoir are one and the same and located directly over the cpu it has difficulty getting heat out of the loop. i would not reccomend spending any less than say $200 australian on liquid cooling ($150 US?)
Old 04-26-2006, 02:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
MechEng Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to cwiz

while im still getting my feet wet in the high end computer field, i'm a mechanical engineer and specialize in heat transfer. i was impressed by the symphony by thermaltake. it's one of the few liquid cooling systems on the market with dual pumps. (the last thing you want is a pump to fail when you only have one!)

i really dont understand why someone would build a liquid cooling system with a fan inside of your case, one reason for liquid cooling (besides way better heat transfer) is to reduce noise levels.
I symphony relies on natural convection on the non-liquid side of their external heat exchanger (no fans) so the only noise it makes is the pump vibrations, which is minimal. Its going to cost you between 200 and 300, but it will be worth it for silent super cooling! go to www.thermaltake.com for some really cool liquid cooling solutions.

For the product you are looking at, the exaust is simply the outlet from the heat sink. it is a closed loop, so the water wont be going anywhere except thru the fan area and back across the heatsink. this type of water cooling does not cause the water to evaporate at all, it will stay in the liquid form. evaporative liquid cooling is conducted at low pressures. liquids evaporate at lower temperatures at low pressure, but the latent energy of vaporation is higher (in laymens terms, it will evaporate at low temps, but suck more heat from the chip in the process). the vapor then moves (using natural boyancy, i.e. hot air rises) to a cooler part of the computer where the heat is dissapated and the vapor becomes a liquid again and is reused. i've seen this type of liquid cooling used on 3d accelorators, but are expensive as a ton of R&D goes into every design. (i think their called heat tubes or something) i got this info from Heat Transfer II class... sorry if some of the terms dont make sense, u'll just have to trust the engineer .
Old 04-26-2006, 02:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I was just wondering, if you bought this:

http://www.thermaltake.com/product/L...5/cl-w0075.asp

Would you at a later time be able to add the 240mm radiator fromt this:

http://www.thermaltake.com/product/L...6/cl-w0076.asp

If its not possible it doesnt really matter because theres only a £20 difference. The Big Water 745 is only £75! Think i might get the Big Water 745 looks lush.

Thanks

Closed Thread