Liquid Cooling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarplyrstevo

In Runtime
I'm thinking about getting liquid cooling for a computer I am going to build next month. It is going to have the Intel E6600, EVGA 7900GT, Creative X-Fi, etc. I probably will be overclocking it in the future. Any opinions on whether or not I should go with liquid cooling? Also any suggestions of liquid cooling products that work well? Thanks

Generally water cooling is a nice idea,especially if you are going to overclock.There are many kits out there that are easy to setup out there.

i've found it to be overkill, especially if you "might" be overclocking. with so many heat pipe cooling options out there, a beginner would be better served sticking with those imo

The main advantage to watercooling is the noise reduction. Cheap WC kits will not cool as well as a good HSF. You are going to have to spend quite a lot if you want both something quite and that cools well. If you are not even sure if you are overclocking yet, i would stick to a HSF for now, and get the feel for your computer. You can later on add a WC kit to your system if you feel you want some extra punch.

cwiz said:
i've found it to be overkill, especially if you "might" be overclocking. with so many heat pipe cooling options out there, a beginner would be better served sticking with those imo

heat pipe cooling? what is that

U-Toast said:
The main advantage to watercooling is the noise reduction. Cheap WC kits will not cool as well as a good HSF. You are going to have to spend quite a lot if you want both something quite and that cools well. If you are not even sure if you are overclocking yet, i would stick to a HSF for now, and get the feel for your computer. You can later on add a WC kit to your system if you feel you want some extra punch.

well how i think about it is, all the heatsink and fans out there are usually pretty pricey if you want to make sure your computer is cool enough. I am kind of going all out on this one because I am going to be putting high performance parts and I REALLY do not want the temperature to go above 105F or 110F (I forget whats the recommended temperature). Plus I do not want a huge bulky looking fan cooling my CPU and putting even a bit of stress on the board. As you can see, I am going to be babying this computer :D

Back when I had my P4 I water cooled both my CPU and GPU. IMHO water cooling is over rated enless you are going with a peltier also. You're not going to see that much of a difference between water and air.

The stock coolers coming with your videocard and processor won't cost you a penny. You can see how they are performing, then later you can decide to buy better heatsinks/coolers or use water cooling.

I personally wouldn't use it unless you have a lot of money; it's very pricey to get good water cooling.

Phrantic said:
The stock coolers coming with your videocard and processor won't cost you a penny. You can see how they are performing, then later you can decide to buy better heatsinks/coolers or use water cooling.

I personally wouldn't use it unless you have a lot of money; it's very pricey to get good water cooling.

I know what you guys mean, but I simply just wont settle for stock fans. I am going to be running professional recording software which really makes the computer work and I do not want to risk anything if I'm going to be putting a lot of money in the computer.

By the way, I am going to be building this computer for a long period of time (3-5 months) so it wont take a huge toll on my money all at once. I will be buying a couple parts a month, so I wont see one to two grand gone just like that.

Keep in mind that I want this computer to last as long as it can before things become too outdated.

Nikkon said:
Back when I had my P4 I water cooled both my CPU and GPU. IMHO water cooling is over rated unless you are going with a peltier also. You're not going to see that much of a difference between water and air.

1) What is a peltier?

2) You are kidding me with the whole "You're not going to see that much of a difference between water and air" right?

4) Is there a difference between "water" cooling and "liquid" cooling? From what I know right now, you don't fill it up with water, you fill it up with coolant. Is this correct?

3) Could anything bad happen to the computer if it is running too cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom