Lifespan of Thermal Grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMaestro

Baseband Member
What is the lifespan of thermal grease, such as Arctic Silver 5? Or will it generally last for the life of my processor/computer. I read somewhere that I should reapply thermal grease every year or so for maximum effectiveness.

Also, I heard there's a set in period for AC5. How long is the set in period, and how many degrees C lower should the CPU be after AC5 sets in? Thanks.

Not sure about the lifetime, but I'm sure it's pretty long. You're probably right on lasting the life of your processor. But it's nothing to be concerned about.

You don't need to reapply every year. I haven't, and the temperatures are fine.

Yes, there is a curing period for thermal paste to set in. Most thermal paste take about, 200 hours to cure. So a good week of load and idling will do it.

b1gapl,

I read somewhere that I'm not supposed to run the CPU constantly during the set in period. Rather I should just use the computer normally and it will set in. I've been turning off the computer at night.

I believe i remember seeing that thermal grease is supposed to be good up to 6 years (says Arctic Silver) however I would re-apply it every 5 months or so.

TheMaestro said:
b1gapl,

I read somewhere that I'm not supposed to run the CPU constantly during the set in period. Rather I should just use the computer normally and it will set in. I've been turning off the computer at night.

That's perfectly fine.

I don't know about running the CPU constantly during the set in period, but I do. And I haven't had a problem, ever.

Depends, as every chip is different. But I'd say, in the range of 2-5 degrees.

its a gradual change though and a week is just a guide it can take 1-3 weeks to fully stabilise depnds on your cpu, your cooler, make of grease used and quantity you add

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom