LED Monitor? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 01-04-2010, 06:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default LED Monitor?

So I am shopping around for a new monitor (I already have a Samsung T240 and I love it) so I can run a dual set up. I was looking at ones on Newegg and want something in the 24inch market but 23 and maybe 22 are ok. I was wondering about the new LED technology in screens? Would it be worth it to go with something like Samsung - 23" Flat-Panel LED Monitor - Charcoal Gray - XL2370?

I am ok with my single monitor for now but it is getting annoying having to alt-tab stuff while playing a game... $300 would be my max (plus some tax if needed) so let me know what you guys think My current GPU is an EVGA GTX285 so that should be good to go dual screen right?

Cooler Master ATCS 840 | I7 920 DO Watercooled @ 3.4ghz | Corsair 850HX | EVGA E758-A1 X58 | G-Skill 12gb DDR3 RAM | EVGA GTX 680 4GB | Samsung 830 SSD 128gb + Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung T240 | Logitech G-15 + G9X | Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit | LG 8X BD-ROM Combo Drive | S-Flex SFF21F Case Fans |
Old 01-04-2010, 06:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Do not Stare at my Avatar
Send a message via MSN to Ste
Default Re: LED Monitor?

There aren't really any large improvements when comparing LCD to LED's. (I don't think)

The LED's would be brighter, but other than that, I think the refresh rate, and pixel pitches are all about the same.

If your looking at a 24' I would suggest this:

Old 01-04-2010, 07:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

LED's look more vibrant and crisper IMO. Not sure if its enough to warrant an extra $150 though. Stop in a futureshop or best buy and look around, just to give yourself an idea of what you want.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

increased viewing angle
better contrast and darker blacks (if it has "local dimming")
lower power consumption (if edge-lit)
higher power consumption (if local dimming")
better color accuracy (if RGB LED's or color wheel)
color accuracy the same if uses white led's

this is what i've read anyway. Personally i'm still using a CRT from 2001 :P
I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other :crazy:
Old 01-05-2010, 01:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

They aren't worth it. I work at Best Buy and trust me. Most of the opinions people have about LED's looking drop-dead amazing are purely due to the mighty power of the placebo. There's no debate about them being superior. But twice the price superior? Yeah right...

Most of them are edge-lit anyways, which defeats the purpose of LEDs.
Closed Thread