Leaving PSU on with IP35E

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsteffens

Contributor
I had a few questions. First, is there any harm done leaving the PSU on when I shut the computer down? As you guys know about the IP35E the thing is awesome with the exception of the cold start double boot. I am just wondering how much is actually kept powered up at that point, because there is one red LED on the MOBO that is on at that time.

Also, how difficult is it to swap out MOBOs? As if I wanted to upgrade motherboards to one that doesn't double boot and may be better overall, do I have to wipe the HD or anything?

Thanks in advance!

If you shut off the computer, the power supply should shut off as well.
There will be LED's on the mobo that stay on even when a computer is off, this is normal.

It is not difficult to change mobos, for XP a repair install may work, but a format and reinstall is always reccomended.

I have an IP35-E and I do not shut off the psu when I turn off the pc. If the double boot bothers you try flashing the BIOS to a newer version which may fix the problem.

Overall I think the IP35-E is a good enough board to more than make up for the cold start double boot.

Okay, so if I physically swapped motherboards out, what would I have to do? You say recovery would do it? Is that just booting from the xp CD?

formatting and reinstalling, would that wipe the HD clean?

Just wanted to make sure, so for now I will just leave the PSU flipped on. Thanks.

I have read and read about the double boot and even the newest one does not fix the double boot from a cold start.

Always back up your data first, the repair installation of XP is NOT garunteed to work.

Have Back ups before starting.

Pop in your XP disk, boot off of it, go to install windows, it will detect a previous version, hit R to run a repair.

ok. It's just a gaming rig now so there is absolutely nothing crucial loaded yet.

So pretty much what you are saying, is I should be able to swap boards, and do a repair install, and run my OS off the new board? If it works correctly?

Okay. I suppose if I come to some money I could try an upgraded mobo.

Is there any harm done with a double boot? I read a few places that it can damage the HD or put undue stress on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom