LCD Monitors, buy now or wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.

akasixcon

This is sparta!
8ms vs 5ms vs 2ms?

I don't really need a monitor right now as I'm satisfied of what I have but I have spare money so why not replace my old monitor you know? Should I wait until theres a price drop (if any) or should now be the time?

if you don't need it then don't buy it prices are constantly dropping that's what happens in technology world old models become obsolete and worthless.... response time below 8ms is not recognisable by the human eye

if you don't need it then don't buy it prices are constantly dropping that's what happens in technology world old models become obsolete and worthless.... response time below 8ms is not recognisable by the human eye

exactly

If you can wait, black friday is your best bet. LCD monitors are pretty much at about rock bottom these days. The prices are more dependant on what features you really want and what size. Most 20" monitors can be had for under 200 bucks.

seems about every other month come out new lcd's with better and better contrast ratio's.

If you arent unhappy with your current display, then there is no reson to spend money for the sake of it.

The OLEDs should be affordable in 1-2 years, so that should be your next upgrade path.

I'll cast one vote in the other direction. I recently made the same decision and went ahead and bought a new monitor.

I agree - prices are coming down steadily, but they are coming down at a linear pace, rather than exponential. By that, I mean that prices are declining, but there isn't some lurch down coming up, just a continued slow and steady decline. Absent some new technological advance, which no one expects, then prices won't have any large move down.

So, it really depends on how much you want one and what it's worth to you. I upgraded from a 17" to a 22" widescreen - the Samsung 226BW. With the $50 rebate (which I believe is still available), it ends up at about $275. That's less that I paid for my 17" Viewsonic back when I bought it.

So, if you're waiting for prices to drop 20%... you're going to be waiting a while. If you're waiting for prices to drop 5%, then sure, wait for a Christmas sale.

I paid 425 from buy.com for my 20" viewsonic like 4 years ago, my 24" acer with better stats only cost me 375 2 months ago. Oh technology, how i loathe thee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom