Last call before I buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxXxy

Baseband Member
So I posted here about 2 months ago regarding my first build. I now have enough money to buy all the parts and I was just wondering if there is anything I should change or if I should wait a few months for a new part to come out. Here's my build..

Case – Thermaltake SHARK VA7000BWA Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - $169.00

Hard Drive - Two Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard DriveÂ’s - $189.98

Motherboard - ASUS P5B Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - $179.99

Video Card - eVGA GeForce 8800GTX - $659.99

Optical Drive – SONY Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 5X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 40X CD-ROM IDE DVD Burner - $44.99

Sound Card – Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series 70SB046A00000 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card Quick Start Leaflet Driver Disk - $145.99

Power Supply – Antec True Power Trio TP3-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply - $94.99

RAM – G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - $209.99

Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - $317.00

Change the motherboard to the ASUS P5B Deluxe. Whichever Canadian site you're buying from should have it. You'll never use what the 680i has to offer.

Change the optical drive to a DVD burner.

Change the Power Supply to a Forton or Antec 450W or 500W version.

Find the cheapest reliable set of DDR2-800 that you can find and go with that. You aren't going to be stressing the memory with that processor, and any 2 x 1GB set of DDR2-800 will do.

Change the processor to an E6600. You can overclock both processors to the same speeds.

Youre gonna spend 659.99 on a video card when more cards are coming out soon. Seriously i could build a whole system for the price of that card. I would buy a 7950 now and wait for the prices to drop on the 8 series cards.

Thanks so much for the help guys; I really appreciate it. As for a power supply, I can't decide. As for the video card.. I would rather not buy a 7950 because I want to make this computer relatively "future-proof." Should I just wait a few months for the new stuff to come out? Again, thanks allot.

Edit: Oh, and how's my case? Does anything better come to mind?

Hey buddy. If you look at ocz, antec and enermax i would find one with 500+ watts and pick the cheapest one available(with good reviews, come back here with questions) I would suggest you look at the Antec Trio 550 watt. If you want a better power supply than that for the price range you have up there i would go with PC Power & Cooling.

Video card i would probably just get an 8800 now just for the simple fact i dont like the hassle of selling old video cards and spending money again in ordering. Thats just me.

Case is fine :D

That looks like a solid system to me. It will be able to play anything currently out and all the way up to 2560x1600 easy (according to anandtech and with no AA but its getting 42.6 fps at that resolution on oblivion which is AWESOME).

If you plan to overclock, i would get a good hsf with some as5. I like my zalman 9500 and plan to get a scythe ninja with another build later. The stock cooler will give you a good overclock but not as much as a good hsf with some as5 ;).

it looks great now :D

the only thing left for you to do is buy it and ship it to me<3

haha but yea make sure you get the air circulation working well inside that case and if need be buy a CPU zalman fan to keep that thing nice and cool

good luck with your build dont be afraid to ask more questions or post pics when your done :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom