Laptop Moniter Cables? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 04-04-2007, 10:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Laptop Moniter Cables?

I've been researching some mid range gaming laptops, mainly Cyberpowerpc (Ibuypower) etc types ~1500-2k price. I was just wondering if there are such cables to allow me hook it up to my lcd moniter, or better yet dual screen it with my original laptop screen and my moniter. If so what are they called and where could i find em, newegg etc.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Renowned Budgeting Master
Send a message via AIM to Sora
Default Re: Laptop Moniter Cables?

You know....thats a very good question and actually I'm not too sure.

How big is your monitor? Understand that laptops are less powerful in general and they may have a hard time running well on a LCD that is 4 inches or so bigger than the laptop screen...this is if it's possible. Do you NEED a laptop for school or something?

E6300 w/ Arctic Freezer Pro 7 @ 3.6ghz 1.4Vcore
Antec 900 Case
EVGA 750i FTW Mobo
4x1GB of G.skill DDR2-800
2 8800GT in SLI
22" Samsung Syncmaster
1 250GB WD and 1 Seagate 7200.10 in RAID 0
Corsair 520HX 3DMark06 Score: 13900
Old 04-04-2007, 10:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Not particularly. Althought my current computer IS a bit oudated. (Dell Dimension 8300) I do travel couple times a year and always thought it would be nice to have a laptop along the trip even if its watching movies or playing games without internet at the airport etc.

Another question regarding monitors. I play quite a bit of games on the computer and I've been using a CRT that has worked wonderfully and treated my eyes pretty well. Sadly its slowly dieing away and I've had a few experiences with LCD moniters but I HATE how their Viewing Angle is so small. If im looking from an angle, too tall, too low, the image is dark and strains my eyes. Seems like im pretty comfortable with the glass viewing screen on my CRT. Are there any viewing friendly LCD's? 17-19'' preferred.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

just connect the VGA cable to your laptop. nearly all laptops come with a VGA port, some are beggining to come with DVI ports too.
depending on the graphics card you have should tell you what resolution is supported and if your monitor has that resolution supported, your good.
i have a sony vaio with intel GMA 950 onboard video, and i run it dual screen with my 22 inch no problem.
theres no special cables needed or whatever, just take the VGA cable supplied by your monitor and connect it to your laptop and configure the resolution and graphic settings, whether or not you want dual screen, single display, etc. (if your card supports dualscreen of course,which pretty much all do now.)
Closed Thread