Laptop for a Friend

Thorax_the_Impaler

Minecraft Veteran
Hello everybody!

A good friend of mine is currently searching for a laptop to replace his desktop. I should point out he does not specifically want a desktop replacement laptop but he does want a little umpf for his money. His budget, is around $500, and I think he is willing to up it to $700 if needed. Specifically, he wants to be able to play League of Legends at max settings (if possible), and handle some various gaming at decent levels. I have vaguely looked into notebooks for him, and while seem good from what I understand, I don't want hims to get ripped off. So, can you guys recommend any specific laptops that fit his desires? Thanks in advance for the help!

Note: LOL's requirements according to the extent of MY knowledge can be satisfied with decent specs. But, I'm not entirely sure. Thanks again!

When it comes to laptops and "decent" specs I am a little lost, but this is what just looking at HP's immediate stuff on their website got me: HP ENVY dv6z-7200 Notebook PC | HP® Official Store

I know the "only-buy-if-you-have-to" rule of thumb with AMD hardware, but would this at least satisfy LOL's requirements? I've explained his budget is a little low for laptops that can "game", and he understands that, but his request remains the same.

The biggest deal, is a laptops GPU is considerately less powerful than the desktop counterpart. For instance, I would say the 680m is closer to the 660 desktop performance, or somewhere around there. That being said, if you're buying low end, it's going to be lower end than low end. If that makes any sense.

I do not believe one of those APUs will max LoL.
Like I said, if he wants decent specs for that low of laptop budget then he needs to buy used. Either that, or sell whatever PC he has and add to it. A good spec'd laptop will start around 1000.

The biggest deal, is a laptops GPU is considerately less powerful than the desktop counterpart. For instance, I would say the 680m is closer to the 660 desktop performance, or somewhere around there. That being said, if you're buying low end, it's going to be lower end than low end. If that makes any sense.

I do not believe one of those APUs will max LoL.
Like I said, if he wants decent specs for that low of laptop budget then he needs to buy used. Either that, or sell whatever PC he has and add to it. A good spec'd laptop will start around 1000.

That makes perfect sense. Shrinking anything electronic requires something to give. As for selling his current PC, that probably won't happen since he doesn't technically own it. Thanks for the help Mguire; I always appreciate it.

I would try to find anything in his price range with the best GPU. Even if it has a Pentium processor (SB or IB of course). GT650, 660, whatever.

He's not even close to a gamer; he just saw a laptop running it an decided he wanted it on a laptop for himself. As of now he has decided to just get a notebook and eventually build a desktop for gaming.

Back
Top Bottom