Laptop for a Friend - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Minecraft Veteran

Default Laptop for a Friend

Hello everybody!

A good friend of mine is currently searching for a laptop to replace his desktop. I should point out he does not specifically want a desktop replacement laptop but he does want a little umpf for his money. His budget, is around $500, and I think he is willing to up it to $700 if needed. Specifically, he wants to be able to play League of Legends at max settings (if possible), and handle some various gaming at decent levels. I have vaguely looked into notebooks for him, and while seem good from what I understand, I don't want hims to get ripped off. So, can you guys recommend any specific laptops that fit his desires? Thanks in advance for the help!

Note: LOL's requirements according to the extent of MY knowledge can be satisfied with decent specs. But, I'm not entirely sure. Thanks again!

Thorax_the_Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: Laptop for a Friend

For 700 bucks he is going to have to look at used for decent specs.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Minecraft Veteran

When it comes to laptops and "decent" specs I am a little lost, but this is what just looking at HP's immediate stuff on their website got me: HP ENVY dv6z-7200 Notebook PC | HP® Official Store

I know the "only-buy-if-you-have-to" rule of thumb with AMD hardware, but would this at least satisfy LOL's requirements? I've explained his budget is a little low for laptops that can "game", and he understands that, but his request remains the same.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

The biggest deal, is a laptops GPU is considerately less powerful than the desktop counterpart. For instance, I would say the 680m is closer to the 660 desktop performance, or somewhere around there. That being said, if you're buying low end, it's going to be lower end than low end. If that makes any sense.

I do not believe one of those APUs will max LoL.
Like I said, if he wants decent specs for that low of laptop budget then he needs to buy used. Either that, or sell whatever PC he has and add to it. A good spec'd laptop will start around 1000.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Minecraft Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
The biggest deal, is a laptops GPU is considerately less powerful than the desktop counterpart. For instance, I would say the 680m is closer to the 660 desktop performance, or somewhere around there. That being said, if you're buying low end, it's going to be lower end than low end. If that makes any sense.

I do not believe one of those APUs will max LoL.
Like I said, if he wants decent specs for that low of laptop budget then he needs to buy used. Either that, or sell whatever PC he has and add to it. A good spec'd laptop will start around 1000.
That makes perfect sense. Shrinking anything electronic requires something to give. As for selling his current PC, that probably won't happen since he doesn't technically own it. Thanks for the help Mguire; I always appreciate it.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Build Guru

I would try to find anything in his price range with the best GPU. Even if it has a Pentium processor (SB or IB of course). GT650, 660, whatever.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
ninja troll

it will be easier to max lol if you arent even close to 1080p
1Tb Samsung Spinpoint F3
1Tb WD Caviar Green
2Tb WD Caviar Green
8gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600
Sapphire Radeon 6870

jasonalwaysready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Minecraft Veteran

He's not even close to a gamer; he just saw a laptop running it an decided he wanted it on a laptop for himself. As of now he has decided to just get a notebook and eventually build a desktop for gaming.