Lan party thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdub89

Daemon Poster
Alrite im about to go to my first lan party i was wondering if i need any special hardware or something to hook up the lan? Sorry im still new to pcs. Also anything suggestions on other stuff i should bring besides all my computer stuff?

Well they should have a hub if there will be more then 2 people. Now I think all you need is a patch cord to go from your computer to the hub. it is just a ethernet cord.

well obviously you will need the basics such as your pc, monitor, keyboard, mouse and corresponding cables. i presume you have a network adapter in your pc, either a PCI card or onboard? you will also most likely need at least a 5m Cat5/5e/6 patch cable (a "straight through" not a crossover, a crossover may work depending on the network gear they use though). i like to take game discs for games like FarCry that are multiplayer and don't have all the validation crap, so a friend you might want to play against can install it. you might also want to clear up some space on your hdds if you don't have much, even take some blank DVDs because chances are you might end up with a lot of file sharing ;). if you're not an insomniac take a pillow, if you are an insomniac take one anyway because you'll need to sit on it to save you from physical pain. you'll need spare batteries for your mouse and keyboard if they are wireless. if this is a public LAN be sure to take some money and locate the nearest 24 hour store that you can buy coffee from :)

nitestick said:
well obviously you will need the basics such as your pc, monitor, keyboard, mouse and corresponding cables. i presume you have a network adapter in your pc, either a PCI card or onboard? you will also most likely need at least a 5m Cat5/5e/6 patch cable (a "straight through" not a crossover, a crossover may work depending on the network gear they use though). i like to take game discs for games like FarCry that are multiplayer and don't have all the validation crap, so a friend you might want to play against can install it. you might also want to clear up some space on your hdds if you don't have much, even take some blank DVDs because chances are you might end up with a lot of file sharing ;). if you're not an insomniac take a pillow, if you are an insomniac take one anyway because you'll need to sit on it to save you from physical pain. you'll need spare batteries for your mouse and keyboard if they are wireless. if this is a public LAN be sure to take some money and locate the nearest 24 hour store that you can buy coffee from :)
Alrite cool thanks alot that was some really helpful info never thought about taking a pillow lol or blank dvds. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom