lan party question!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmammen

Self Proclaimed Immortal
i plan on having a couple big LANs at my house this spring. I am basically wondering what is needed on my part. Of course everyone will be bringing there own computers and a LAN cable. I have a router running verizon fios. So do i need some kinda network switch with a bunch of cat5 cable ports on it or what? and then i just connect that to my router?
will this work? i only need about 8 ports-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833122111

Im just trying to figure out a good loop and setup.
Thanks in advance_
hunter

that goes to your router, and all your friends plug their cables into that. pretty much.

depends on how many friends are coming over and how fast your internet is.

Id say for 8 people your going to need at least a 5 meg connection. Other than that you might have a hard time having all people connect to the same router without cords everywhere.

EDIT: AHH EVIL POST!! 666

if your using the router verizon supplied, you should be able to connect 4 via wireless, and 4 hardwired. if not you just need a basic switch that 60$ is a little overpriced for a lan party.

1 question... is this a LAN Party or an Internet Party?....

Internet Party = outside ur home network

its probably both. depends on what everyone is in the mood for, or what game they're playing if they wanna hop on the internet or not.

P.S. thats a good suggestion ThomJMag made with that d-link switch, its cheap and gets the job done.

ThirdLeft152 said:
its probably both. depends on what everyone is in the mood for, or what game they're playing if they wanna hop on the internet or not.

P.S. thats a good suggestion ThomJMag made with that d-link switch, its cheap and gets the job done.

yea its pretty much both....and i will take the advice on the d-link switch...thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom