Knows nothing needs alotta help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean1696

Solid State Member
Hello Im 15 years old and I love gaming and I have had World of Warcraft for about 4 years now and I really would like to start playing it on ultra settings...sadly the Dell inspiron 531 I have cant even break fair graphics without making the game all laggy.So I asked a friend of mine what I should do and he told me to build my own computer saying it would be a great experience and give me everything I wanted if I did it right PROBLEM IS I know absoloutely nothing about computers I have no idea what the parts are what they do nothing im starting completely from scratch with absoloutley nothing under my belt. I know that forums are a great place to get started learning and get feedback from people who know what they are talking about blah blah blah fast forward I end up here on the tech forums writing this thread hoping Ive come to the right place. So ya please any basic beginner info will help advice websites things to look up anything to get me started on the path to learning how to do this would really help me alot and I would be really greatful for anything helpful.

Yup so again please help I wanna get started on this as soon as possible.

Thanks for reading:big_grin:

Well as you know, these are the parts you will need. We can help you with compatibility.

Case, CPU/Processor, Motherboard, RAM, Graphics Card, Power Supply, Hard Drive (Or SSD), Optical Drive (DVD/Blu Ray), appropriate copy of Windows, keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

Fortunately for you, maxing out WoW is a simple task and can be done for pretty cheap. If you intend on playing any newer games we will have to work within a budget.

Another fortunately for you, you can probably retain your Dell and just add a graphics card (with possibility of PSU) to play WoW easy.

Site of choice for US userbase is Newegg.com.

take the time, watch a couple tutorials. here is a few that I find helpful -
Newegg TV: How To Build a Computer - Part 2 - The Build - YouTube

(same as first, but different guy) PC Computer System Build Guide Featuring AMD Vision Black NCIX Tech Tips - YouTube

Futureproofing Your PC - Dispelling Some of the Myths NCIX Tech Tips - YouTube

Cable Management Guide Featuring Ultimate AMD System & Corsair 600T NCIX Tech Tips - YouTube

figure out your budget. once you have your budget defined, some of us can help you pick out parts.

I was scared as hell the first time too. but it really isn't all that difficult. ;)

Thanks for the videos man they helped alot and made it seem pretty simple wich got rid of some fear for when I start getting some of my parts. Now something I need to know is that I plan on getting an nvidia gtx 590 and I know that I need alotta memory to run a card that powerful so how do I figure out how much I need and how much each stick of RAM holds. I dont know if it says it on the box or anything like that.

Again much thanks.:big_smile:

Better off getting a 680.

Like a BOSS^
(nooby) GTX 590 Requirements and a few Questions :) - NVIDIA Forums

If you plan on going the 680 nvidia route make sure you have a good psu to handle the juices coming from it.

Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-2300 Sandy Bridge 2.8GHz (3.1GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I52300
Newegg.com - ASRock Z77 Pro3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Newegg.com - Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Newegg.com - Kingston HyperX 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3/4G

Those 4 parts are about 300.00, some have promotional codes I would use em before may 16th.
The case I'll leave to someone else to spec over it, why I choose these for valued prices.

Only thing you'll need is OS and Hard drive. :cool:

NO. You need at a minimum 650w for a 680. A 690 you need more.
What size drive do you want?

Mguire just it let be and let him get the psu link I hosted up for him.
Why he needs to have a 680 is beyond me and almost pushing his new system build.
Not everything needs to be smoking hot to buy just to play todays most recent games.

I think the nvidia GTX 570 or 580 would be more the plenty for him.
That 680 will be around this year so its no need to have it that badly.

Sean, this will handle up well with the parts I hosted up with windows 7 pro mguire hosted.
With a case your grand total will be about 500.00 or so and thats a very good price for what your paying for.

Let your friend see this and see if he agrees with it. :D

Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom