Knowledgable people, please look!

Status
Not open for further replies.

24hrs

Baseband Member
i'll TRY to keep this one short.

ive built my pc, gotten my dvi adapter ( board is dfi lan ultrad )
i turn my comp on, and the monitor turns on, then quickly turns off... in that time i do not get a screen... just reassurance that power is getting to my monitor.

All the leds are working on the mainboard, and i get no beeps
All the fans are working

BUT

when turned on, the red light on the tower stays on, does not flicker at all

the yellow/green light on the tower does not come on at all ( im guessing thats the led for the hard-drive )

and besides the fans, i get no noise "at all"

ive taken the motherboard and the hard-drive out of the case and put it on a mat that came with the board, which i put on a table, to see if grounding was a problem...... and that didnt work..
i only have 2 dvi sockets on my 6800 gt, and ive treid both, ive also tried both pcie X16 sockets...

Ive spent the whole day trying to get answers to this, but nothing comes of it...

Can any of you smart people help a poor noob in need? :(

Does you'r psu have enough power to support your computer?
because i think that could be the source of your problem.

Its either a faulty power supply or a dead video card (or possibley a bad PCIE slot, I had the AGP slot die on my DFI Lanparty motherboard awhile back). If you have a second computer, pull each of those one at a time and see if they will work in it.

theres actually no way i can test the video card, but i can test the psu.....

if the psu works, do i go ahead and buy a video card anyway?

could it be the dvi adapter??

You cant really rule the adapter out but theres more of a chance of the video card being dead then the adapter. If you bought it from newegg they will RMA stuff like that no problem (even if its not really dead).

Edit: You might want to also check the SLi jumper on the motherboard , make sure that it is lined up for only one video card. And make sure you have the power connector in the video card (the six pin connector).

unfortunatly i got the video card off ebay a couple of months back, preparing for this build...

i wouldnt like my chances of getting an exchange off the seller....

the power connecter would be the one coming from the psu with pcie on it? if so, i already have that one in.

i shall check out the pcie jumper now....

any other suggestions are *MORE* than welcome :) :)

EDIT: jumpers are fine :(

wait a sec... if it was the video card, then wouldnt i still get activity from the hard-drive??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom