khan008 here is a run down of what is good and bad with your build

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltynay

Patron
This is not hate mail this just a breakdown of why your pc wasn't the most effective way to spend your money. I just want to help you so that next time you can save some money and still have a WOW factor pc. It appears to me like you just went to a website found the most expensive components and bought them

Enermax Galaxy 1000W EGA1000EWL ATX2.2 Modular PSU.

The 1000W power supply is a mistake at current no gaming pc would use that much power as you can see by my sig my pc isn't the best parts but theyre all high end and theyre running off of 420W my server which has 10x750gb hdd's, 2, dvd burners,4gb of ram, qx6600 and in total 15 fans. runs off of 550W. Enermax is a good brand and its modular which is obviously good for wire management

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro 7.1 Soundcard.

good card from what I have hear it runs flawlessly but I use my onboard though as it is sufficient for my uses, So soundcards aren't my expertise.

Zalman Reserator2 Fanless Water Cooling System.

I thought about buying this for a mini-itx (6"x7" mobo) build as obviously I would never be able to fit the watercooler into a mini itx case. With your budget though a phase changer would of been a better choice

(2x) Seagate Cheetah 10K.7 300GB ST3300007LC 10,000RPM SCSI 8MB Cache (Ultra 320-SC2 80 Pin).

those better be in Raid0 configuration!!!! These hdd's are ridiculously over priced with the samsung spinpoints costing less then a quarter of the price and easily 3 times the capacity and all you suffer in performance are an extra 4 seconds whilst loading windows or games. I don't think its worth the money

Crucial 16GB (4x4GB) DDR2 PC2-5300C5 Dual Channel Kit.

As I have said before that is enough ram for a large sized business server to run even memory hungry windows vista has no noticeable benefit in performance after 4gb. Plus it was a waste as ddr3 is coming out next year and by 2009-10 ddr3 will be the new standard before any program/game/OS will be released that needs that much ram.

Asus Striker Extreme nForce 680 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

good board but overpriced but with your components your probably one of the very few people who could justify the price for the support that they need for there components.

Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme Edition QX6800 "LGA775 Kentsfield" 2.93GHz

the QX6700 is suppose to be the sweet spot for quad core you shouldn't ever go top of the line for a series of processors as you pay a premium for having this wow component that in 3 months time is just average. e.g. the e6700 was £100 more then a e6600 when I bought my cpu now all you get for that extra £100 is 200mhz faster performance they are both exactly the same chip in practice but one has that 200mhz extra a e6600 can overclock to 3.6ghz the best someone has reached that I have heard about is 5.67ghz simple maths it isn't worth that extra £100 when you can do it at home

LiteOn LH-2B1S-490C 2x BD-R/RE Blu-Ray SATA DVD Writer

although I want blu-ray to win the format war as it is the larger capacity disc it may not so you just gambled £800 to get the latest technology on a maybe, and with your hdd space you can hardly store any highdef discs so why are there two lol I would of if i had to have blu-ray bought one raptor or cheetah and then buy 6x500gb in raid5 you can store the data from your brand new blu-ray disks and because the games and OS are on the cheetah you lose no performance

BFG GeForce 8800 GTX Extreme WaterCooled 768MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI

good brand, good card and good choice if you can't be bothered with the hassle of adding a watercooling connector for yourself

I am not the most knowledgeable person on here so If anyone with a valid reason wants me to edit my post then I will but I think that these are all acceptable reasons why each component wasn't the best choice

khan plz read this article...

The High Cost of Gaming

I do cad too, Autocad to be exact. That's a pretty high spec system for it. If you're not running a lot of rendering and realtime 3D visualization, you might want to save a bit of money and run the specs down a ways. Best bang for the buck is definitely going to be ram and HD Raid 5. Under normal operating circumstances, doing 2D drawing in Autocad, you're pretty much never going to see the CPU jump above 10%.

I'm big into gaming too though, so a higher spec system is a good thing in my opinion. I'm working on getting the $ together for my next build. I'm going with a triple monitor setup, Core 2 Duo 6600, 4GB ram, (3) 500GB Seagate Barracuda HD's in a Raid 5. I've priced up to about $2K, not including the case, lighting or optical drive(s). Also not including monitors, KB, mouse. My preference for running CAD on it will be to get the highest resolution monitor possible for the center screen. (You can push toolbars from Autocad onto other screens, but when you restart they end up back in the upper left corner.)

Blu-Ray is far from being a leading industry standard. It's the VHS/Beta war all over again. I'm sitting it out. I'm not replacing my TV, surround reciever, etc just for a bump in video quality. And as for optical storage, unless you're making high end video, it's total overkill. A DVD toaster will run you south of $30 if you look in the right places. A Blu-Ray drive is still somewhere in the stratosphere. Hard drive storage is super cheap by comparison. That's where I'd stick my bucks.

The other top of the line components make me drool a bit, but it really is a little over the top. I've not seen anybody out there that needs that much machine... unless they're completely stuck on impressing the folding@home people... that can be addicting. Just make sure that hardware isn't going to waste!

lol, biggest overkill system ever!! unless he runs a lot of CAD and multimedia apps...

yes it is overkill but can we keep the comments on how he could improve next time theres no point just making him feel bad his system is incredible and I am sure it runs like a dream but it is bottomless pit for the money he has spent and I would prefer to help him actually get a more accurate picture on what a build should be

ya but what matt is saying here is that he paid a lot of cash for it but he isn't getting the number of percentage in increase of power.. heres an example"

Component Frank's List
Motherboard ASUS P5N32-E SLI $180
Graphics Cards (2) eVGA e-GeForce 8800 KO ACS3 $1,318
Hard Drives (2) WD Raptor 1500ADFD $410
Keyboard MS Natural Keyboard 4000 $47
Mouse Logitech MX510 $39
CPU Core 2 Extreme x6800 $968

Total $2,962

Joe's List
ASUS Striker Extreme $320
eVGA e-GeForce 8800 Ultra $1,698
WD Raptor WD1500ADFD $420
Logitech G15 $70
Microsoft/Razer Habu $50
CPU Core 2 Extreme x6800 $968
Total: $3,528

"Both systems should get terrific performance. It may be true that, with a killer cooling solution, the Striker Extreme motherboard will be able to push a CPU a little harder——but is it worth a $140 difference? For that matter, will Joe have a gaming experience that's $566 better than Frank? I doubt it. Also, it's worth noting that the eVGA 8800 KO ACS3 card actually has a higher core clock rate out of the box than eVGA's version of the 8800 Ultra—which costs $200 more."

so this is how it stands:

Mikes: ppl who want bang for the buck <- I'm a Mike
Franks: Who want a little more performance than bang for the buck
Joe's: Overkill ppl who buy too many expensive things and don't get what they pay for

I posted this run down on some other forums just to make sure I was actually being fair to you khan and everyone so far has agreed with my comments on your build.

Vernon I don't get why your telling me this...... you must be confused lol. i understand why it is not always est to spend money I wrote this thread which is explaining to khan unfortunately he hasn't seemed to commented yet

so this is how it stands:

Mikes: ppl who want bang for the buck <- I'm a Mike
Franks: Who want a little more performance than bang for the buck
Joe's: Overkill ppl who buy too many expensive things and don't get what they pay for

saltynay, where do u stand: a joe, mike or frank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom