Just ordered two more PC parts (This PC is going to scream!) Complete Parts List....

Status
Not open for further replies.
8800gts is currently the cheapest at ~$400. If thats out of your budget Nvidia is releasing some lower end cards in March IIRC. The 320mb version of the 8800gts is suppose to be ~$300, the 8600ultra ~$180.

if you're only looking for performance from a motherboard the majority of Core 2 motheboards are almost indistinguishable from each other. they do have differing features which is what you want to choose them based on ;). the only graphics cards supporting DX10 are the 8800GTS and GTX. don't buy them purely so you can have DX10 support. if the performance and price fits into your budget then go for it but it is not worth buying just for DX10. down the road when DX10 is actually released there will be a bunch more cards released for it including a lot of cheaper ones.

my reccomendation of motherboard is also the Gigabyte 965p-ds3, did you really look into it?

****....I guess I got to what I got to do. What brand of 8800GTS would you guys recommend? Im looking at the eVGA version right now....

did you listen :p? the way you phrased that it sounds as if you're still only buying it for DX10. if you can't afford it then stick with a decent DX9 card like a 7900GT. if you can and you think the performance is worth the price then get it.

i'm a fan of XFX and their cards are great overclockers. i have never owned an eVGA card but they are told to be great.

Well, I ordered the ASUS P5B Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard. I can cancel the order though. How do you think the Gigabyte 965P-DS3 stacks up agains the Mobo I ordered? Im just really going off of the NewEgg.com reviews since I do not have expierience with either of them. They both have relatively the same specs too...

nitestick said:
did you listen :p? the way you phrased that it sounds as if you're still only buying it for DX10. if you can't afford it then stick with a decent DX9 card like a 7900GT. if you can and you think the performance is worth the price then get it.

i'm a fan of XFX and their cards are great overclockers. i have never owned an eVGA card but they are told to be great.

Well, I actually posted before I read your first post =)

I do have a larger budget than I intended to originally spend. I can get a 8800GTS if I wanted too....but it may cut into my monitor spending. Hmm...Besides the fact of DX10 compatibility, now that Ive done a lil research on the 8800GTS cards, I dont think I can go back to a lil 256MB card to order :D

I have a few days, Ill research more and make the right decision before I order it. For now, I have the Mobo and Intel CD2 on order to keep me excited =)

BTW, would you guys recommend installing the parts AS you get them, or just wait until you have all of them to start ripping the boxes open?

-Joe

that's because they are both 965P reference based designs ;). the 965P chipset will do you better for overclocking a low end e6300/e6400 processor due to the high FSBs they can cope with (the e6300 and e6400's low clock multipliers mean you need a higher FSB when you overclock) whereas the 680i chipset is a pretty rock stable one for cpus with higher multipliers that don't need such a high FSB.

aside from being Australian (hence never use newegg) i would never trust a review on newegg. you're better off trusting forumgoers despite the fact sometimes you might get some bad advice.

given the similar features of the the two 965p boards the Gigabyte is a favourite amongst many people as it's a proven reliable overclocking board that costs considerably less. why pay more for barely if any benefit?

lol, a little bit of both... hahaha, but, if you can wait, i'd wait for for lower end cards if you arent a huge gamer, like the 320 mb 8800gts as said earlier, or 8600ultra... because monitor size... is important!!!! and i didnt realize that until i picked up my lovely 22 inch westinghouse... bigger is better!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom