a jumpmaster's digest -AMD Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

ink68

Baseband Member
Revelation:

At 1906hrs several weeks ago, I decided that just because a company "briefs well," doesn't mean I have to spend another year saving up to have a monster gaming rig (no more Micro Velocity or Falcon Northwest). Similarly, I realize that Intel "briefs well" on paper. However...

I'm still glad I bought that new Intel-based desktop for university-work, but if you can own two old consoles (PS2 and Xbox), you can own two new computers (Intel and AMD). Although, I haven't bought a console game in years. I can say I never will again.

Pivotal:

I'm tired of seeing marginal gains with high premiums (Intel). And yes, I read the thread about Intel considering cutting prices in 2008. But it's 2008 and I'm waiting to see a substantial drop.

Come On People:

Overclockability is okay, but 3.0GHz with multiple cores should be plenty of speed. Companies are more focused on cores than increasing processor speeds. So overclocking is unncessary. It's more likely that game developers will find better performance gains through implementing multi-threaded games and incorporating better use of SLI and Crossfire setups.

Conclusion:

For all those looking forward to the next Intel bangfest of quads that can be overclocked to 4GHz+ and have a larger FSB than San Diego, hold your horses kids. Take a step back just say no, "I ain't havin' it toDAY!"

Besides, large numbers won't necessarily translate into noticeable performance gains, at least to the human eye.

So save your money children of the damned (Intel whores), buy AMD...because AMD WANTS YOU!

ya.. more cores doesnt mean clock speed is irrelevant now....

and saying intel is too expensive is a lie

they're bringing out the dual core celeron soon and its competing w/ your 5000+ from amd... for 50 bucks..

and large numbers.. well that means we're ready for the future... while your amd.. is present day.. so i'd rather be future proof.. than be happy for the meantime

regardless of who you support...understanding tech more, you should realize the faster a processor goes...should not be the focus.

It is the road example

Do you want an autobahn where you can drive 55-5000mph in 1 or 2 lanes?
Or do you want 512 lanes where everyone is cruising at an un-bottleneck speed?

Pushing GHZ speed does not move computing industry forward.
If that were the case, we all would be gaming away on our Texas Instruments Speak and Spells, oc'd to 5ghz.
The Chip Collection - TI Speak & Spell Learning Aid - Smithsonian Institution

I loved those things btw.

what am i reading here.. lol

and i would defitely say clock speed is still as important as architecture itself...

i mean if you have a 2.0ghz core 2 duo... why not go 4.0 ghz and perform twice as much work :p ... if the ability to do it is there.. i don't see why not ;)

Intel doesn't cost that much more than AMD. Pentium E is around $85 and performs pretty well at stock and even better when overclocked.

il be happy with my q6600 for awhile wont upgrade for a very long time, unles si can see the 9450 beign a substantial improvement, but lately processor's arent the botle neck of a system the gpu is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom