Jobs/tasks that require high performance computers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveIgnorant

Solid State Member
(I posted this is in the job forums too but I want your guys' opinion too)

I kind of have a high perfomance desktop fetish. I like to really tinker with settings and upgrade the parts and etc.

BUT this hobby is expensive! I want to justify such heavy investments.

My question is this, what careers out there require high perfomance computers? I've looked around and most people say image editing but from my experience is that you don't really need a great computer for image editing. Sure, it helps, but you don't need one. The only thing I could come up with is video editing, and while thats mildly interesting to me, I can't see myself working in such a field.

Thanks for the help guys.

Mostly, server environments, or, in companies where speed is needed when opening and editing database files and documents. Speed isn't usualy NEEDED on work stations, though, it is nice to have so the workers are more "productive" and if they have plenty of RAM, they can have multiple documents/programs/database files open with out waiting to switch around.

Other than that, a high powered machine isn't needed, it is wanted by consumers just because they like quick/snappy things and not waiting minutes to do simple tasks, what's pushing computer power these days is gamers, and corporations that need fast servers and networks.

One last thing (rarely seen at all, except in schools or simple internet cafes) is a single computer, that has multiple terminals attached to it, you are basically turning one machine into several at this point, and the system MUST have enough resources to support all the users on it at once, so a FAST processor, and high quantities of memory are needed to satisfy users.

Other than those, you end up in areas where music/video editing are needed, and if they can encode a two hour video in 4 hours instead of 30+ hours on another machine, which one do you think they will pick for productivity reasons?

All in all, it comes down to people wanting, and not needing higher end machines, most of us, are just techs, we fix, and repair computers for other people that don't want to learn, or don't have the time to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom