Jobs/tasks that require high performance computers? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 10-10-2010, 01:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Jobs/tasks that require high performance computers?

(I posted this is in the job forums too but I want your guys' opinion too)

I kind of have a high perfomance desktop fetish. I like to really tinker with settings and upgrade the parts and etc.

BUT this hobby is expensive! I want to justify such heavy investments.

My question is this, what careers out there require high perfomance computers? I've looked around and most people say image editing but from my experience is that you don't really need a great computer for image editing. Sure, it helps, but you don't need one. The only thing I could come up with is video editing, and while thats mildly interesting to me, I can't see myself working in such a field.

Thanks for the help guys.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie
Default Re: Jobs/tasks that require high performance computers?

video editing, and 3D rendering, like pixar and Dream Works studios, they have BEASTLY computers.

Modded Raidmax Hyperion Case
MSI Z97M Gaming
16gigs Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz
SLI GTX 980s
Samsung 830 Series 128gig SSD
EVGA G2 850W power supply
2x Alphacool ST30 240mm, 1x Alphacool ST30 120mm, swiftech Micro res, Enzotech Rev A. CPU water block, Full Coverage EKWB GPU blocks, modded Vari MCP655 pump
LG 34UM95 21:9 Ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor
Old 10-10-2010, 06:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Grinch

Mostly, server environments, or, in companies where speed is needed when opening and editing database files and documents. Speed isn't usualy NEEDED on work stations, though, it is nice to have so the workers are more "productive" and if they have plenty of RAM, they can have multiple documents/programs/database files open with out waiting to switch around.

Other than that, a high powered machine isn't needed, it is wanted by consumers just because they like quick/snappy things and not waiting minutes to do simple tasks, what's pushing computer power these days is gamers, and corporations that need fast servers and networks.

One last thing (rarely seen at all, except in schools or simple internet cafes) is a single computer, that has multiple terminals attached to it, you are basically turning one machine into several at this point, and the system MUST have enough resources to support all the users on it at once, so a FAST processor, and high quantities of memory are needed to satisfy users.

Other than those, you end up in areas where music/video editing are needed, and if they can encode a two hour video in 4 hours instead of 30+ hours on another machine, which one do you think they will pick for productivity reasons?

All in all, it comes down to people wanting, and not needing higher end machines, most of us, are just techs, we fix, and repair computers for other people that don't want to learn, or don't have the time to learn.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

^^^ Very well said. ^^^
Cooler Master CM Stacker Case
Asus P8Z68 V Pro/Gen 3
Intel i5-2500K
Cooler Master V6 GT Heat Sink
8 GB G-Skill DDR 3 1600
Asus Xonar Essence STX Sound Card
Grado RS1i & AKG Q701 Headphones
MAD EAR + HD Headphone Amp
Corsair CMPSU 850 Watt
Western Digital Black 500 GB
Crucial M4 64 GB SSD For Windows 7 64 Bit
Samsung 2494SW 24" LCD
Logitech G5 Mouse
Logitech G110 Keyboard
Old 10-10-2010, 10:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

Please read the rules before posting, only one thread per topic is allowed
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Closed Thread